"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Gift of Music


I was talking to a friend the other day and we talked about songs - why we liked them - and looking for the meaning in them.

Well. why do we like a particular piece of music? There has to be something to make us like it.

Even if the words themselves don't have specific meanings or hidden meanings in it for us - why is it that we are attracted to them?

First, we must at least like the words and what they say or least least agree or relate to what they are saying. We could like the beat or even the emotion with the way it was sung. It must conger something up inside of us - or I don't think we'd like it. A song today might mean one thing and a year from now not be so meaningful. The thing is - music creates memories. Or is there music in memories? The music/song remembers when according to Trisha Yearwood.

Secondly there is something - some idea - some feeling - some thought - some message - the song brings to our mind. The song means something to us or why we would like it. It could be a happy song making you feel happy, it be be a song with a message, it can bring back a memory, and if you are somewhere like Aruba and they play the Caribbean style music it could make you in a party mood -there has to be some meaning attached to it. Something clicks.

For me, music is in my soul. I can't sing a lick really, but I just love, love, love music. I feel music is a language of it's own. "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~Confucius~ (Another choice for us is to look for beauty).

It’s the things in common that make relationships enjoyable, but it’s the little differences that make them interesting. ~Todd Ruthman~

My mom used to say that there is a song about anything and everything. I agree. I've taught that to my grandson and he tries to trick me, but so far I've always come through.

Chatty

Below is Terri Clark's "I Want To Do It All" - so do I!

No comments: