"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, September 01, 2008

Happy Labor Day - a day where there's all sorts of labor going on - whether we realize it or not. So many times labor is thought of as a negative word - but I'm thinking it 's how you look at it. What we choose to labor with are our choice. We may think it's not, but it is. Life is about our choices. What we labor on says a lot about us - what's important and what is not important.

There are many kinds of labor besides working a job. Of course there is the labor of the job - whether it be at a work place or at home.

Kids labor with homework. Growing up. Learning about life. Finding out the rules of life. They labor with finding out who they really are! (At this age they are a mixture.)


Older people labor to do the things that in their youth was so easy. Plus they labor with the fact they're growing old. We labor through mid life crisis's!

Women labor to bring children in the world. They labor to raise them. They give up so much of their selves.

Men also labor to raise them up. They labor on the lawn, the house, and their jobs.

It seems to me that no matter you are - there is always some kind of labor involved. My grandson said last night as I was putting him to bed, "Grandma, you can never do nothing". I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "Well, you probably think you're doing nothing right now, but you are - you're going to bed!" Now I don't know if you get that or not - but I did. How fitting for this Blog on labor - you're even doing something when you go to bed - you're trying to go to sleep! We're always working and we're always busy. You can never just do nothing. In some cases some people are busier than others. :)



Even when you go on vacation there's the labor of the planning, getting there, the plan of having fun, getting back, the mail, the house, the unpacking, and the returning to the labor of your job.

Even when you go on your picnic today you labor getting it ready, packing, cleaning up.

There is the labor of helping other people. There is the labor of giving of yourself sometimes until it hurts.

You have to work or labor at keeping your friends.

There is also the labor of growing up. I could write a book about that, but I'm not.

I think I've reached a pinnacle . . . a mid life crisis (?) is you will which is a labor too.

I'm at the point in my life where I want it all. I want more out of life than I've ever wanted out of it. I want to live life to the fullest of my ability. It's taken me a lot of years to get to here - I've labored to get here!. I don't want to look back - I want to look ahead. I want to have fun. To be happy. To feel joy. I want to play. I want to feel good. I want to see the world. I want to hear the music and words of life. I want to feel loved and accepted for who I am. I want to touch the beautiful things in life. I want to smell cotton candy and taste the chocolates of life. These are the labors of life - the labors of fun. Sometimes you have to chuck all the work type labor and just do the fun labor. I'm sorry, but it's true. Life is way to short at our age to be so serious!

And to do this you gotta take risks. And when one door is closed you have to believe that another will open. Just give life a chance. Life is good. And that is a labor of trust. "No great deed, private or public, has ever been undertaken in a bliss of certainty."
– Leon Wieseltier

So your can think of the negatives of labor OR your can think of labor as positive. Yes, work is hard - but the results are great. A job, kids, homes, vacations, picnics, friends, growing up, realizing that life is full of 'life itself' and that you want to live it fully. So another 'choice' is how you decide to look at things.

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."– Anna Quindlen (And don't forget to take care of yourself - that's a labor too.)

Chatty

No comments: