"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday Mullings- Nights in Rodanthe


Adrienne Willis, a woman with her life in chaos, retreats to the tiny coastal town of Rodanthe, in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, to tend to a friend's inn for the weekend.
Here she hopes to find the tranquility she so desperately needs to rethink the conflicts surrounding her--a wayward husband who has asked to come home, and a teenaged daughter who resents her every decision.
Almost as soon as Adrienne gets to Rodanthe, a major storm is forecast and Dr. Paul Flanner arrives.
The only guest at the inn, Flanner is not on a weekend escape but rather is there to face his own crisis of conscience.
Now, with the storm closing in, the two turn to each other for comfort and, in one magical weekend, set in motion a life-changing romance that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.

Okay guys, that's what the 'movie review' says about the movie. Leads you to think it's a good love story - right? I mean I love, love stories. Well, I should've read the book first.
Oh yes it was a love story, but I was not prepared at all for the ending.

I used to cry when I was younger - at the drop of a hat - I really don't cry all that much anymore - my daughter does though and she often asks me why I don't cry anymore. I'm not sure why really. Maybe I've cried my tears out, maybe I'm just tougher now, or maybe you don't cry so much when you get older.

Well, I cried this weekend. For lots of reasons. For the people I've lost - the things I've lost - the relationships I've lost - the loves I've lost - for all the things that could've been, but were lost - things that might have been, but were lost . . . needless to say this movie really got to me. At first thought I didn't like it - it made me hurt too much and to tell you the truth - I don't want to hurt anymore, I'm still not sure, but it does make you think.

Some young girls in their 20's laughed at the end of the movie. My daughter didn't - I think she was in shock. There were two woman behind me - about my age - and we all started talking. One of the women commented on the girls that were laughing - she said that they were too young to get the meaning of the movie. Perhaps she's right or maybe they were laughing out of nervousness.

I mean what was the meaning of that movie?

We talked about that too and decided that maybe the lesson was to love while you can. I think that Dr. Flanner finally learned how to see life and take a part in life itself. To actually see the people around him as real people. They became visible to him. He was missing his own life. And if there is something we have put off doing - we need to do it now, as you never know about tomorrow.

My other question from the movie - What is that Shakespeare quote? "Is it better to have loved and lost - then never having loved at all?" My daughter says never having loved at all would be better as Adrienne was hurting - severely. It's funny, while I don't like pain myself, I still think I'd rather try to love and take the chance of losing it, than never trying to love at all. (I think.)

What about y'all?

Romantic Chatty

No comments: