"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, October 27, 2008

Time Is a River by Mary Alice Monroe


Time Is A River -

By Mary Alice Monroe

Good book. Very inspirational. Mary Alice Monroe is the author I saw in person a few months ago. We bought one signed edition and now we sharing the book. It was my turn to read it and I really enjoyed it - it was an easy read.

It's about a cancer survivor, her story of surviving, finding herself, and finding a new life.

I have always wanted to fly fish and I think I'm going to to this summer. This book included a lot of thoughts about why fly fishing is so good for 'recovery'.

Here's some thoughts on, fly fishing, from the book. (There's a real place for cancer survivors to fly fish called Casting for Recovery by the way).

"The charm of fly-fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable - a perpetual series of occasions for hope." Anonymous

"The river has taught me to listen; you will learn from it too. The river knows everything; one can learn everything form it. You have already learned from the river that it is good to strive downwards, to sink, to seek the depths."

"Fly fishing stars with paying attention. It's about being a good observer."

"Face your fears. Let go of your old self image and make peace with yourself now." (However you are.)

"Good casting requires patience, practice, and peace of mind. Not a bad recipe for life as well. "

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

"That's why it's called fly-fishing, not fly catching. Some days are good ones and some days you have to accept you're going to be denied. Fly fishing to me is just about showing up. It's about being here - your head, your heart, your sense - all of it."

"Out of the night that covers me
Black as the Pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."

"Presentation is the placement of the fly on the water. The cast is viewed from the perspective of the fish. The angler's goal is to present the dry fly gently and in a natural manner so that the fish is not scared but will, hopefully, be lured to take the hook."

"Sometimes not catching a fish is fine. Other times one fish caught after a duel of wits is more satisfying reeling in dozens. In the end, the quality of the experience matters far more than the quantity of fish caught."

"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along. But I am the river." Jorge Luis Borges

"The choice to not merely survive, but to live."

"When I'm fly fishing I'm only aware of my surroundings and the fish. I'm in alignment with the universe."

"Fly fishing is a celebration of the sense and the spirit. On the river you feel whole again, ready to say yes to life."

This is Chatty, dreaming about the wonders of fly fishing . . . Read the book, it was good.

The happy heart runs with the river, floats on the air, lifts to the music, soars with the eagle, hopes with the prayer. Maya Angelou

No comments: