"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, November 03, 2008

What is a grown up?

What is a grown up?
(Taken from AARP’s magazine)
I thought it was a good article to share -

Fifty years is an arbitrary as any other measurement of time. Many regard this birthday as a milestone. Fifty used to mean you were old. Now it is middle-aged, even young.

Human maturity isn’t predictable like the ripening of a piece of fruit. Growing up is a PROJECT (JOB) one embarks on or FAILS to embark on, the success of which can be OBSERVED at practically any age.

A thoughtful person of 25 may be considered wise beyond his years. An 85-year-old may be self-absorbed, childish.

Real wisdom is more than accumulated knowledge.

How do you know when you are a grown up? You know when you are a grown-up when:

You know there are many things more important than yourself.
You’re attentive to the footprint you will have left in the world.
You forgive the carelessness of the young, and regret the thoughtlessness of your own youth
You finally realize that you have no one to complain too (and I don’t mean you don’t have God – it’s different)

GROWING UP IS A CHOICE.

The journey begins with the simplest of steps:

Identify your values, than ACTING accordingly. This means jettisoning the excuses that have previously blocked your path (I’m too tired, “I don’t have the time,” etc.) And then the tricky part: doing all this while retaining your sense of humor.

Few accomplish these goals. (Total successes would mean you are a Saint).

The most important thing is to point yourself in the right direction and start marching. (DO, TRY, ACT)

The alternative is to have a life that has a beginning, a middle, and an end – that’s all.
****************************************

I sometimes like to share what my friends think because to tell you the truth - sometimes I am in amazement at them - they can say things so much better than I do. Explain things better. Or I find out why we are friends - because we think a like!

I was writing to one of my friends this weekend and we got on the topic of 'how we have changed' - how we are now vs how we were in our youth - she had delightful insights:

"Uhmmm.....how have I changed? I really don't think about it....until a dear friend asks.

I believe I value the gift of time more than ever before. I no longer take it for granted. I recognize I am not immortal.

I value my friendships more than ever before. I always have and I always will, but now I don't put things off as much. I try to make the most of every day and as you know "fill em up" because I do not know what tomorrow holds.

I am in some ways less patient, but wanting to be more patient....story of my life....just because we don't have time to waste. I'm more of a "bottom liner" when I speak, but I'd like to think when it comes to listening I am doing a little better. Listening is sooooo important.

When it comes to my faith, it is strong, but I ask more questions than ever before. I have become more practical than ever before and finally recognize it. I recognize what is really important and try not to get trapped in the petty. I have to sometimes just put my emotional raincoat on and let hurtful words, etc. just roll off it.

I'm more relaxed about inviting folks and friends in for meals. It's about the people, not the stuff.

I've mellowed...not about everything, but am definitely moving in that direction. That is a freeing feeling. Life is again too short to major in the minors as they say. I try to put things into perspective.

Counting my blessings is essential..... What is MOST important is my family and my friends and I continue to recognize that and hold them all dear to my heart. God is in control and has everything all lined up. "

Isn't she a wonderful and wise woman?

Love,
Chatty

"I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

2 comments:

JeanMac said...

Wonderful words.

Unknown said...

What a thought-provoking post. Thanks for sharing.