"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fishin In Homer . . .

To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to. - Kahlil Gibran

Okay - this story is about my fishin' trip. The song below this blog is a great song for vacations. It'll get you in the mood.

And the video below that is perfect for Alaska! Really cute. How bears are dealing with global warming.

I went on the boat called the Jack Pot - complete with a little dog who as soon as the engine started ran to his bed and stayed the whole time. My captain was Captain Jack.



Now these pins look kind of little but I would say they were 6 to 8 inches long. Each person could only catch two Halibut. No one could help you. We stayed until everyone got two. I was number 21 - the last number. They used these pins to pin the two fish together after we caught them.




Here is Chatty fishin'. Halibut feed near the bottom. Therefore you had two pound weights on the pole plus bate. About every 5 to 10 minutes you have to reel up the line to check if there is still bate on it. It was work. Real work. You get a new respect for fishermen. Notice the silly hat someone talked me into buying? And it was cold - two jackets. I bought a new jacket there - that I love.


The fish to the right - the last two - mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Here is one of the first mates filleting my fish. After they removed the fillets and the 'cheek' they threw the carcass out to the back of the boat and the birds were there to get it.





And this is where the fish we caught was brought. You could flash freeze it and send it home if you wanted to.



And that was the end of my fishing trip. It was wonderful!

And as Vincent Van Gogh once said, "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reasons for remaining ashore".

Gee, what a good lesson for me - us.

Love y'all,
Chatty

10 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

I do like the last quote - and inspiring fisherman occupation story to go with the quote. Gives us things to think about - you usually DO that!

Chatty Crone said...

Thinking is a good mind exercise. Aren't 'mind exercises' good for our brain?

Thanks friend.

Changes in the wind said...

Think I would have liked to try that minus the cold:):)

Chatty Crone said...

Just go in the summer time. It's raining now and cooler as I check, but when I went it was summer and very warm.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I fish without a line or bait. So far, I haven't caught anything in 50 years.

What a fun adventure! They have it all planned out so well. I think the ability to send your catch to someone is a really nice touch!

Chatty Crone said...

You are sooooooooooo funny!

JeanMac said...

Halibut, yum! What a great experience.

Joyce said...

I bet you had a grand time. Your pictures really makes me want to go and to fish for all kinds of fish. Thanks for stoppoing by.

Love and Hugs,
Joyce

Buttercup said...

I love the Van Gogh quote. I brought my winter coat to Alaska last year, with turtleneck sweater, gloves, hat and scarf. It was cold, but luckily we didn't have sleet, like friends of mine experienced several Augusts before. I was warned about the temperature.

Chatty Crone said...

I had never fished before and probably won't again - but it was awesome.

The weather can be tricky, but I think someone told me they endure the bruttle winter weather for the 3 months of summer and light. (Like they make up for it.)