"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Twins VS Twins

Remember the movie Twins with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito?




My sister and I are not twins of course, but being together does remind me of this picture (and I am Danny by the way). While we don't look alike too much, raised with two different mothers, and they moved to LA in 1985 so we haven't been together much - it just boggles my mind how alike we are.

We joke that we are each one half of the same orange (?). We can finish each other's sentences, and what I find so incredibly odd (?) is that our feelings and reactions to life and others - exactly the same. Our cores are incredibly similar - and I am not saying that our cores are that great (lol) - but they are the same. She's a care taker, responsible, determined, strong - yet our brothers - are nothing like that - in fact they were the opposite.

We hurt the same, we believe the same things, we cry over the same things, the same things are meaningful to us - what blows my mind is how can we be so many years apart - live 2000 miles apart and end up being so dang similar.

And see her hair - curly? I didn't know - I thought she had straight hair - it's curly! And while you will always see me with straight hair - my hair is curly! I spend a lot of timing making it straight.

Are genetics amazing - GOD is so amazing. Life is amazing.



We went out to my dad's grave site and brought flowers - I had never seen where my dad was buried. She did a great job. My dad and mom died the same day -opposite coasts - within an hour of each other. So while I was burying my mom she was burying our dad. Weird huh? (Don't worry though - things are okay - just writing about a mystery in life I may never get understanding of).


So do you have anything like this or know any stories? Are you like your sister or brothers? Do you have any strange happenings? Would love to know.

Happy Birthday to Paul Newman!

Anyway it was Paul Newman's birthday today according to Wikipedia. His father was Jewish and his mother Christian Scientist. As an adult he had no formal religious ties. He was a great actor, good husband - married twice - I believe 5 children/good dad - and Philanthropist.

When I was younger my mom worked at Woodward Elementary School in Dekalb County, GA. It was named after the Woodward Family and I remember when Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward came to dedicate the school - many years ago.

13 comments:

Paul said...

That's great, you have a bond with your sister and even though you guys have been raised different, your the same no matter way. It's one of those mysterious things that makes life wonderful.

Jenny said...

I think that is such a cool story. Maybe the story should be the sequel to the movie! I think it's neat you found such special siblings in each other. Good for you!

Deb said...

If this was written in a movie, I wouldn't believe it. The same day? Wow!
And by the way, you are beautiful.

Knitty said...

That is a wonderful story! I am so glad that the two of you have what many siblings who grew up close in age and under the same roof don't have. Your bond is very special.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

How great that you and your Sister are so much alike, that tells me you get a lot of your genes from your dad. I am so glad y'all formed that bond, there is nothing like the bond between sisters. I can't begin to explain their passing within an hour of each other. Life is full of mystery, that we will never be able to explain.
Thanks for sharing.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That is wonderful how much you have in common with your sister. When I found my 1/2 brothers it was interesting how we had some similarities. Genetics are interesting even if it's just 1/2 siblings.

Angela said...

I really can't explain how it is that you two are alike in your thinking. Especially when I think it is the mother who instills a lot of that in us as children. I didn't know you had curly hair. You should go curly and see if you like it. My hair is straight, straight, straight! lol

I have heard of elderly couples dying on the same day or a week apart because they loved each other so much. Here is a strange question. Who died first? And did the other one know of the other one's passing before they died?

Hugs,
Angela

^..^Corgidogmama said...

It really is bizarre that your folks died on the same day. Especially when he hurt her as he did...very strange karma there....wonder how and why that happened. Truly a mystery. Life can be so strange!
I'm thinking that while you and your sister may only be half sisters...you're truly 100% SOUL sisters!!

Joyce said...

Glad to hear you and your sister are so much alike despite the coast and age differences. I also found it interesting about your parents passing. I once saw Paul and Joanne in NYC while we were eating at the same location in the East village. This was a few years ago and she was still the most beautiful woman in the room and he was by far the most handsome and his eyes were so incredible. I don't even remember eating my dinner as I was so under the spell of looking at his blue eyes. Just a beautiful couple.
Joyce

betty said...

that is interesting that your mom and dad died the same day, Sandie. Neat to read about the similarities between you and your sister :)

betty

LADY JANE said...

Sandie....It is truly amazing that your Mom and Dad although divorced would pass with-in an hour...yes it is truly a mystery! We can only ask God questions of why...we can only assume that for some strange reason God wanted you to have a sister...you are so blessed!
Sandie I am an only child..I always hated it...and really hate it now...I would not care if a sister or brother ( I would have loved either) was 50 years older or younger...I like you would not care if they were 2000 miles away...just so I could experience the bond you have. You are so very blessed!!!!!!
So when I find a truly good friend like I have found here in blogland and we joke that we are Blog-sistas...I for one take it quite seriously...I have found a few gals here that I have said to myself...Jane if you HAD a real Sista...you would be so blessed of they were just like.....
Well...Sandie...LOL....a few Gals here in blogland may not know it but in my mind ( what is left of it) have been officially in my heart as Blogisters...Now I have a question for you!!!
May I ask????????????

ClassyChassy said...

Very interesting story. Life is full of mysteries, isn't it?

Joy Tilton said...

It's wonderful that you and your sister are close even though you weren't raised together. That was amazing that your Mom and Dad passed the same day. We also have several of those coincidences in our family. I don't know if it's Divine intervention but it does happen. Thanks so much for coming to visit GrannyMountain often!