"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday's Gift to you.


When I was a kid, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Thank you Monica at Expressly Corgi for sharing this with me.

Love, Sandie

23 comments:

Jojo said...

What a very sweet story and a wonderful memory for you.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Such a great story and very important lesson. Thanks Sandie!!

Buttercup said...

This is great. My motto for the week is "I love burned biscuits." Enjoy the day!

Mevely317 said...

Great story!
I looooove breakfast for supper, especially in the Fall/Winter!

betty said...

great inspirational story, Sandie,and I loved that quote a life without God is like a pencil with no point; such a wise saying!

enjoy Sunday :)

betty

Rose said...

cute story. your Dad souned like a great guy. thanks for your comment on my post re tears. i can cry at the drop of a hat for joy as well as sad. it's good. have a good Sunday. rose

Joyce said...

Beautiful words to live by from your Dads heart that certainly made an imprint on your heart. Feel like lunch this week?

Patti said...

What a beautiful story, Sandy. Such an incredible memory for you.

All too often, it's easy to see the faults in others...and often, we feel compelled to point them out. How come we rarely offer (or receive!) praise for something with the same passion as we give to the flaws?!!

Thanks for the great reminder.

Love,
Patti

Ginny Hartzler said...

Thanks for this inspiring story. And yes, we need to go around with this in our heads as our motto!!! "A little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!" Your dad sounds like such a special man, so tolerant and loving. I'm loving your two parting quotes and have copied them for church use, hope you're having a great day!

Granny Annie said...

That is a beautiful story and brought tears to my eyes. My dad was that kind of man and would eat whatever mother put in front of him and thank her with tenderness.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Another darned good post Sandie.
Loved reading this one especially.
Happy days to you. Beautiful Autumn here. Had a bonfire last night on the deck, just me and the corgi kids, enjoying stars and the glowing coals. Hugs to you.

Annesphamily said...

I have heard this story before and think it is quite lovely. Thanks for sharing it again today. Anne

Angela said...

Hey Sandie!

I had me some biscuits this morning on my way to church. They weren't burnt but they were good! I didn't make them! lol

Hugs,
Angela

Tweedles -- that's me said...

More words from YOU to US,
that touched ME today.

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

We love your story

xoxoxo
tweedles

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, Sandie, that is the sweetest post ever....I LOVE It...but you know what? my grampa often asked for burnt toast when he had an upset tummy...a little burnt really doesn't hurt anything.

Have a wonderful evening and you are very good at being a friend.

Love,
Doris and Gizzy
be sure and enter my Giveaway!

Jane said...

Hi Chatty - Hope that you are well. Sometimes, it is better to overlook burned biscuits and focus on what is most important - appreciating what someone does!

Jane

Whosyergurl said...

Sandie, sounds like you come by your sweetness honestly, right from your Daddy!
Thank you for your comments today. I wasn't "there" for quite sometime. When my head isn't ready for the battle, I can't do it. Menopause whacked me for a loop, but it has been almost six years...so I'm whacking back!
Hug you! Cheryl

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

that is such a neat story. It's those special memories that stick with us and make us the caring people we are.

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Sandie, thank you so much for stopping by...and I love the burned biscuit story..that is true love and admiration..

Have a great day!

hugs
Barb

Rose said...

thanks for your comment on imagination. you have alot of this in your posts. i always enjoy reading them. have a good day. rose

Together We Save said...

Such a sweet story... thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

My daughter-in-law makes breakfast for dinner every week or two. That's never sounded good to me :-(

Debbie said...

I love that story, and I'm so glad that I was blessed enough to marry a man who also loves all sorts of burned biscuits.

Great post!