"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wednesdays and "The Secret Life of Bees" . . .

Part 1 - part 2 tomorrow

An excerpt from the book - I'll explain more tomorrow. Just think about what it is saying.

August said, "Listen to me now, Lily. I'm going to tell you something I want you always to remember, all right?"


Her face had grown serious, intent. Her eyes did not blink.


"All right," I said, and felt something electric slide down my spine.


"Our Lady is not some magical being out there somewhere, like a fairy godmother. She's not the statue in the parlor. She's something inside of you. SO you understand what I am telling you?"


"Our lady is inside me," I repeated, not sure I did.


You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Ever if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside." She held out her hand to me, "Give me your hand."


I lifted my left hand and placed it in hers. She took it and pressed the flat of my palm against her chest, over my beating heart. "You don't have to put your hand on Mary;s heart to get strength and consolation and rescue, and all other things we need to get through life," she said. "You can place it right here on your own heart, Your own heart."


August steeped closer. She kept the pressure steady against my hand, "All those times your father treated you mean, Our Lady was the voice in you that said, 'No, I will not bow down to this. I am Lily Melissa Owens, I will not bow down.' Where you could hear this voice or not, she was in there saying it."


I took my other hand and placed it on top pf hers.., and she moved her freehand on top of it, so we had this black-and-white stack of hands resting upon my chest.


"when you're unsure of yourself," she said, "when you start pulling back into doubt and small living, she's the one inside saying, "Get up from there and live like the glorious girl you are." She's the power inside you, you understand?"


Her hands stayed where they were but released their pressure. "And whatever it is that keeps widening your heart, that's Mary, too, not only the power inside you but the love. And when you get down to it, Lily, that's the only purpose grand enough for a human life. Not just to love-but to persist in love."


She paused. Bees drummed their sound into the air. August retrieved her hands from the pile on my chest, but I left mine there.


"This Mary I'm talking about sits in your heart all daylong, saying, 'Lily, you are my everlasting home, Don;t you ever be afraid, I am enough. We are enough." I closed my eyes, and in the coolness of morning, there among the bees, I felt for one clear instant what she was talking about. (Page 288 and 289)

Love,

Chatty



I'll explain it tomorrow - I found out today I have the shingles and they hurt like heck - went to the doctor and got some medicines to hopefully help.

My advice to you is run, not walk, to the doctor and get the Shingles Vaccine. OUCH!

8 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, NO! I'm so sorry. Mr. Magpie had those. Take good care of yourself, Sandie. I will ask him what he did and get back with you. Something really helped, but I can't recall what!

Feel better...

XO,

Sheila

Pat MacKenzie said...

I read The Secret Life of Bees several years ago. I think I need to read it again. That was a lovely passage you posted.

Sorry about the shingles - they're caused by the chicken pox virus but unlike chicken pox you can get them over and over - usually in times of stress. I hope you find something to relieve the pain.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Dear one,I hope you are smothering those shingles in an ointment containing xylocaine which is an anesthetic and completely kills the pain. Also, as I told your hubby on the phone. You need B Complex vitamins taken after food in the morning to help the central nervous system and help get rid of the shingles faster. Much love CM xxx

Melanie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you have shingles, Sandie. My mom had them a few years ago. They were awful!! I will be praying for you, my friend! :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I do love this book! I know that it took me awhile to learn that 'I am enough' I don't need someone else to make me whole! So sorry you have the shingles...I know they are painful as I had them a few years ago. Take care Sandie!! hugs, Linda

betty said...

For some reason,Sandie, I didn't see this on my Dashboard from yesterday. It wasn't until this morning that I thought "I haven't seen a post from Sandie on Wednesday". Sorry about that.

SORRY about the shingles! Oh you poor girl!!! I feel for you soooo much!!! I can only hope whatever the doctor is giving you treats it and takes care of it and there won't be any problems down the line with it.

Looking forward to reading your next post about how you explain more about that passage before I comment about the passage, LOL :)

take care of yourself!!!

betty

The Boston Lady said...

Sandie, take care of yourself with those shingles. I know that they are a latent form of the chicken pox and they can come around during times of stress and with your knee, etc. you qualify! Hope you have a mild case, but I know they hurt. My dad had them in his shoulder area when he was 80 and made a full recovery, no problem. Today's medications are even more effective. Stay strong! Ann

Debbie said...

Not the shingles!! My dad had them and I remember how painful they were. I lift you right now for healing.

And I really enjoyed reading part one, even if I had already read part two.

Persist in love. I like that!

I love this part:

"...when you're unsure of yourself," she said, "when you start pulling back into doubt and small living, she's the one inside saying, "Get up from there and live like the glorious girl you are." She's the power inside you, you understand?"