"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Thursday, January 25, 2007


Letting Go

Author unknown

To "let go" does not mean to stop caring,
it means I can't do it for someone else.
To "let go" is not to cut myself off,
it's the realization I can't control another.

To "let go" is not to enable,
but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To "let go" is to admit powerlessness,
which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To "let go" is not to try to change or blame another,
it's to make the most of myself.

To "let go" is not to care for,but to care about.
To "let go" is not to fix,but to be supportive.

To "let go" is not to judge,
but to allow another to be a human being.

To "let go" is not to be in the middle arranging the outcomes,
but to allow others to affect their own destinies.

To "let go" is not to be protective,
it's to permit another to face reality.

To "let go" is not to deny,
but to accept.

To "let go" it not to nag, scold or argue,
but instead to search out my own shortcomings,
and correct them.

To "let go" is not o adjust everything to my desires,
but to take each day as it comes,
and cherish myself in it.

To "let go" is not to criticize and regulate anybody,
but to try to become what I dream I can be.

To "let go" is not to regret the past,
but to grow and live for the future.

To "let go" is to fear less,and love more.


It seems that since I was a little child I have always been in the process of having to let things go. The kind of parents I wanted, the place I wanted to live, the school I wanted to attend, my first love, some of my dreams and goals, people close to me, and so forth. Letting go hurts. It stinks. Again this week I've had to let go of someone I care about. I'm in mourning. I feel the loss and I'm feeling some grief.


If there is anything I've learned in this life so far - you can't force anyone to like or love you. You can force selfish people to change. You can't make your kids stay close and not move away. You can't force someone to respect you. You can't force someone to be friends with you. You can't share yourself with someone who doesn't want to receive it.


It's a sad fact of life, but true. Once it's faced however, at least you can deal with it and grieve. You're no longer in denial. Eventually, you pick yourself off, dust yourself off, and move on a stronger you.


There will be people and friends out there that really do care and love you. Trust me.


Chatty Crone


No comments: