"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day
What do we need to be wealthy and happy?

I read this article that Chet Day wrote on 2/8/07:

"I don't know about you, but as I grow older (I'm 58 years old as I write these words) I have less and less interest in all the stuff I've bought, borrowed, or inherited during my years on this ball of dirt.
I mean, seriously, I could give away just about everything I own and never miss most of it for more than a few minutes.
I don't know if that's the slumbering mystic in me trying to get out of work so I can move to a mountain top and contemplate my navel for the rest of my days or if it's a serious aberration of some sort that's causing me to reject the American habit of constantly accumulating more and more stuff.
Honestly, though, I really do yearn for a day when I can live very simply with little more than the basic needs of life."

Another quote I like is "Wealth is the number of things one can do without," says Feodor Dostoyevsky

So my question is this Valentine's Day - who is the wealthiest - the people that own a lot of 'things' or the people who feel at peace? Mind you I didn't say I was in this totally peaceful place yet, but I am getting to the place in my life that I have no desire to hold on to 'things' and to buy more 'things'. I also feel that I have more peace now than I've ever had before. Peace makes me feel happier, it's much less stressful for me. It feels like one of those aha moment where you can breath deep down. Does having more 'things' in life give you the same feeling?

Peace,
Chatty


No comments: