"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Quotes from Virginia Woolf - it's something to think about...


"The history of most women is hidden either by silence, or by flourishes and ornaments that amount to silence." ~ Virginia Woolf


"Each sentence must have, at its heart, a little spark of fire, and this, whatever the risk, the novelist must pluck with his own hands from the blaze."


"Lock up your libraries if you like," she wrote, "but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."

It would be interesting to talk to her wouldn't it? See what was going on in her mind. How she got to the point of her thinking. Her background. How did she liberate herself and why? What made her so bold? What was her turning point?

It seems she was a sensitive soul. I looked her up and found out she lost her mother when she was really young and suffered her first nervous breakdown and a few years later her father died and she suffered another one.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I know that is true without a doubt. I have much experience. I also am thinking about the kids of today and my own children.

I wonder if the kids of today and my own kids (now my kids would disagree) have gone though the pain and struggling their parents have gone though. In my case and I'm sure in others it's mainly because "we" haven't let them. We've protected them because we love them. The love is a good thing, I'm not so sure about the protection part.

Protecting them from parts of life (painful parts it may be), I've found hasn't given them the whole experience of life, and therefore it seems a part of them is missing or non formed if you will.

Now they are awesome young people,they never caused me much trouble growing up, we love each other dearly, they have turned out to be great adults, and they help society as a doctor and a teacher, but neither one seem to have learned great empathy or a true passion for living and feeling as a trait. I think empathy and passion comes from struggle. If you don't really struggle, and I mean painfully struggle, I don' t think one can become that empathic or passionate. It feels as if something is missing. Maybe it's just me. I'm not really sure.


I guess I'm especially talking about the last quote from V. Wolfe. I was in such pain as a child, sometimes I wished that I would die. I thought it would have been easier. I didn't die, and I didn't because no one could take away the freedom of my mind. My mind saved me. And I must admit it still does today in some instances.

Any comments?
Love,
Chatty

No comments: