"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, February 11, 2008

I've written a book - I'm sure I told you that before. I've realized lately that not only do I like to write, I LOVE to write. Now I didn't say I was a greatest writer of all times, but I still love to write. I was talking to my huband yesterday about jobs. He's an accountant and while he's good at it - his heart has never been in it. He always wanted to be a pilot or engineer. (He made that decision years before he met me by the way). He says he doesn't like what he does. Every part of it from the drive there and back.

Now to be honest, I'm in a much different place than he is. I've never had to financially support my family, although I've worked. I've taken care of the house, raised two kids now 32 and 30, raising one grandchild that is 7 (that is 69 years of kids), I worked in the school system almost 15 years, retired to take care of my grandson and sick mother, actually I always took care of her and my brother, I've started a little business, and I've written a book and have started on my second. I have also been blessed from God with many near and dear friends.

Funny thing is - I've LOVED (and if I didn't at first I learned too) every single thing I've done. I felt kind of bad for my husband. I wonder though whose responsible for that (him) and could he have changed his fate if he had really wanted too. He said himself that he picked the path of least resistance in school and he was good at accounting so he picked it. The science area looked harder. I have to say that he still picks the path of least resistance and I wonder if he will learn to chose another path and chose to work harder.

Me on the other hand, and I am making no judgements here, always seem to be on the path of the most resistance. In fact, people could say the way I live my life is wrong because it does always seem like I am struglling though one change or another.

Going back to writing. I have a web site sent to me that tells about other authors and what they have written and their philsophies. It is called Daily Celebrations. One of the people they talked about was Kurt Vonnegut - which I will share about him a little later on.

Kurt Vonnegut is a writer - he writes different types of book than I write and ever will write, but still he's a famous writer. That's the reason I read about other authors. I see if there is anything I can learn from them along the way. You always have to educate yourself in your passion. I admit it takes work and committment.

I can also tell you that at times it is fearfull to be an author. More than that - sometimes it's fearful just to live. To change. To do something new. All of life contains fear. You only have one time around this ole world so this is the choice. You can play it safe or you can deal with fear and had work.
You have to take a leap - lots of times - to put yourself out there on the ledge. But oh what a good feeling it is when you master it and take the risk. I LOVE my book whether anyone out there ever reads it or not - I love it!
Now this picture - the reason I want to share it, is not so much for the couple on the ledge as it is for the sense of fear you feel as you see them. Does it take your stomach away? Now I don't think I'd be that crazy, but my point is to be a risk taker.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
These are some quotes from him - which ones do you agree or disagree with?

A good idea will keep you awake during the morning, but a great idea will keep you awake during the night." ~ Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

"Educating a woman is like pouring honey into a fine Swiss watch: everything stops," he once said.

"Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, he advised, "and don't put up with people who are reckless with yours."

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge, you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."

"Each person has something he can do easily and can't imagine why everybody else is having so much trouble doing it," he explained. "In my case, it was writing."

"Laughter
or crying is what a human being does when there's nothing else he can do."

So think about these things and challenge yourself. Let yourself feel the fear. Change is fearful. But if you want to do it - you can. Or, you can just stay the same way you've always been.

Remember - you are ressponsible for your own life.

Chatty




No comments: