"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Sunday, March 02, 2008





Ferns and Bamboo
My theme for this week is 'roots'. All week long I'll be writing about roots. Are they important? Do we need roots? Why do some people get roots and other people stay so shallow? What gives your roots?

This is a nice story to begin with about roots. . . .

One day I decided to quit...I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality.... I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.

"God", I said. "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?"
His answer surprised me. "Look around", He said. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"

"Yes", I replied.

"When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.


"In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I would not quit. The same in year four. "Then in the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern, it was seemingly small and insignificant.

But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.

"Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots? I would not quit on the bamboo.. I will never quit on you.

"Don't compare yourself to others." He said. "The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern. Yet they both make the forest beautiful.

"Your time will come", God said to me.
Never regret a day in your life.

Good days give you happiness; bad days give you experiences; both are essential to life. "
-- Author Unknown--

So far what do you thing about roots? Are they important? Why or why not?

One thing to notice is they take time - so never give up.

I guess that is the theme of my Blog. I mean yes, there is a time to give up, to let go. I'm not saying here at all to hang on to something that will never be or can't be. I'm just saying to be wise. To try. To learn. To grow. To make decisions. And then to act on them. Yes, you may fail (but sometimes failures make roots - get it?).

There are many ways to go around the mountains of our life. In Mel Brooks Movie - Blazing Saddles - there was a toll booth in the middle of a desert with nothing on either side. The posse turned around and went back to town to get the money for the toll booth! Short and one sighted.

Why didn't they just try another way? Like going around? Life can be painful, but God is good all the time.

Chatty

No comments: