"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday Musings


CHRISTMAS HUGS Y'ALL FROM GEORGIA!



Okay you just know I have some more drive by barns from my Ohio trip.  And some - believe it or not - turned out good - in spite of the drive by situation (taking photos at 80mph - my husband loves to speed). These are some more of the barns and they're not blurry (!), but alas, they are a bit far away.  (They will get better and better on the next few Mondays and I even took some photos of fences.)

These were taken in the pretty state of Kentucky - the skies were pretty - a little overcast - but see the group of barns out there?   Most are not abandoned and they're being used for something functional.  I have to say they're prettier then the Georgia barns I've found here so far - at least in North GA.  Southern GA would have a lot of peanut farms, but I'm not sure if they would have barns or not.   I live in such a populated area that when we do go north the barns are old and abandoned - I think the land will someday be uses for urban growth here.



Going to Ohio is supposed to take around 6 hours without any stops and going the speed limit.  I'm the worst offender - I want to stop as much or more than my GS!!!  I'm a bad on the road.  I would like to take days driving and stopping to see everything I can.  Did I tell you that does not fit with the rest of my gang.  So I don't push it.  But maybe some day they will see what I see.



My dear friend at A La Carte - Linda -  I was telling her about my barns and that I actually saw some barns with quilts on them this time.  I was so excited.  I saw two but I wasn't ready to take the picture.  I mentioned to her I wonder why people put real quilts on their barns.  And she very sweetly explained they were painted quilts.  And sent me this article on it. 

"About barn quilts"

Quilt patterns painted on barns dates back to colonial America.  The colonists would paint small patterns on the ends of their barns as a way to honor their heritage.  The director of the Truman Museum in Truman, Minnesota, Marilyn Carrigan, said "The history of the barn quilt begins about 300 years ago with the arrival of immigrants from the Rhine region of Germany.  They came for religious freedom.  These groups included Amish, Mennonites, Lutherans and other Reform groups.  Many settled in Pennsylvania, especially in Berks, Lancaster and Lehigh counties."
The modern version of the barn quilt was started by a lady named Donna Sue Groves.  In 2001 she made a barn quilt square to honor her mother and also to help attract attention from the nearby highway to help a friend's business.  Since that time interest in barn quilts squares grew and today barn quilts can be seen in approximately 27 states.
Many barn quilt squares are based on traditional quilt blocks, such as, log cabin, lamoyne star, mariner's compass, bear paw and wedding ring.  Barn quilt trail have also appeared in many of the 27 states, to showcase the barn quilts and to also generate tourism in the area.
Modern barn quilts are usually made using two sheets of 4' x 8' plywood and painting a quilt block pattern onto the plywood. Bright colors and bold patterns are used so that the pattern is better to be seen from a distance. "
So tell me where I have I been all my life - under a rock?  How come I didn't know this.  Anyway I learn something all the time here.


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY - CHRISTMAS GIFT SELECTIONS:





x_3bb4eaad

50 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

As a quilter, I knew about barn quilts ... but I didn't know the history behind them ... that was fascinating. I think DH and I need to go on one of the barn quilt trails next summer ... he's always looking for a road trip, and I love quilts, so it should be a win-win proposition! ha!

Shelly said...

I did not know the history of barn quilts, either, and I loved reading about them.

YOu made me laugh with your drive by pictures at 80mph!

Remington said...

Awesome! I love old barns!

jack69 said...

I love barns. I have never seen nor heard of the paintings. As my daddy would say, 'that is a new wrinkle in my horn'.
I loved Ohio whee the state pained many barns at their 'centennial' I think. A colorful OHIO on the front and side of many barns.
Every once in awhile I take time to look, really look, at my friends side bars, today, yours. I just wanted you to say I like it, and love the quotes.

Liz Mays said...

I just love that rustic charm!

renae said...

Chatty! all nice stuff here; barns (very nice photos!!!) and sayings esp. the flashing one on the bottom. it's very meaningful. yes, Jessica was on 7th Heaven, huh? cool.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love the picture from Kentucky. Of course I'm a bit biased since that's where I live :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Those are some great suggestions! I need to copy and memorize them!

And I love barns!


XO,

Sheila

Bev said...

Well our snowmen won't melt if you hug them:))... Once again I love your barns!! hmmm 80 mph.....:)))

barbara l. hale said...

Good job with the barns even if you were speeding along at 80 mph. I'm from Ohio originally and we go back frequently. I love those quilt square barns.

MadSnapper said...

the only reason i knew about the painted barn quilts was seeing them on different blogs, mostly from up North. you just missed the post about them. no reason for us to know since we don't have them in our states, GA and FL.... you did good, even great to capture these at 80 mph

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I borrowed the Christmas Hugs Snowman...how cute he is! I've never seen a painted quilt barn, but they must be very pretty to see indeed! That is my something new for today! Hope your Monday is a great one!

Ruth Kelly said...

My friend Becky is nuts about quilting and talked me into taking a block of the month quilt class. I did learn a lot but it didn't take with me. Any quilting is a real art form.

DearHelenHartman said...

Quilt squares on barns have been pretty new throughout Ky - saw my first one 5 years ago. I love em.

TexWisGirl said...

nice drive-by scenes!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sandie those are some pretty great pics at 80 mph!! I think a trip to look at barn quilts would be so much fun...you and me and we can stop and look all we want and take our time! hugs, Linda

Elizabeth Edwards said...

thank you for the drive-bys ... some times you love what you can find. i know i don't always have time to get out of the vehicle to get pics taken so i do the next best thing & take pics while the hubby is driving. i enjoy them so. personally i think they are great going 80 mph & getting shots like that. fun!!!

thanks for the quilting info. that is fun to read.

sending you back a big old hugs as well. enjoy the day. ( :

Susan said...

Never heard of barn quilting, Sandie. Would like to see them close-up.

Hope you have a happy Monday. Enjoyed your post! Susan

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can't wait to see the other barn photos! Barns are a good photo subject because they just sit there unmoving, IF the drives stops moving, ha ha!

Jackie said...

Your barn photos are wonderful.
Yes, in South Jawja we have barns...mostly old tobacco barns.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I posted a quilt barn a week or so ago. I am trying to join Barn Charm every Monday to show pics of barns. I love them so...and yours are wonderful! Sending you some holiday HUGS from Florida!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Here is a ((HUG)) back at ya! I have to laugh at your drive by barns....someday you have to stop and get a closer look.

Michaele said...

Great info here. We have a good share of barn quilts here in NE.

Beth said...

Intesting history about barn quilts.

Valspierssews said...

Couldn't resist visiting a blogger called Chatty Crone :)
Love your barn collection. I have an odd collection of pictures I took from bus and train windows with my iPad because it has the GPS feature and puts the picture on a map so I know which way we went. I only knew about barn quilts from blogs about them. One I read showed them designing and painting their barn. Loved the history. Thanks.
Cheers,
val

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Love those gift suggestions!

Ms. A said...

I only found out about barn quilts, through blogging. I've never seen one in person. I LOVE THE IDEA, though.

deb said...

Great post! I'm trying to have a more "spend time with the kids" Christmas...more low key, on the baking and decorating.
Enjoyed you photos♥
*hugs*deb

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I know bugga all about quilts I have never owned a great quilt but to be honest I would love to and there are nothing like barn quilts here in Aus don't think quilts are that popular here.

Inger said...

I loved your Christmas gift suggestions. Very special.

Ann said...

You did get a good barn picture there.
I never knew the history behind the barn quilts.

Dee said...

I did not know about barn quilts either....and we need to take a trip together....I stop at everything.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Hi Chatty...thanks for cheering up my day! And, never fear! I won't stop believing! =D

hugZ,
annie

barbara woods said...

you need to send that last to congress

Nonnie said...

BEfore Chatty Crone, I never heard of barn quilts. And now I know the history of them! I like the barn pics and I love that you are such an encourager. :-)

Mary said...

Those well cared for, painted quilt patterns are so pretty....and I did not know the source..thank you. I love the Christmas Hug...may I borrow it.

Tweedles -- that's me said...

the barn quilts are beautiful
love
tweedles

Paula said...

I must have been under a rock too. I've never seen a barn quilt or even heard of them. Pretty idea though.

betty said...

Interesting about barn quilts, Sandie. I didn't know that info! LOL with your "fly by" pictures at 80 mph! But they came out good I think!! I'm with you; it would be fun to take the time in driving and stopping and enjoying some of the scenes along the way. Usually we seem to be in a big hurry to get from point A to point B though it seems.

betty

Wanda's Wings said...

Enjoy your pics.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Learn something new every day- I surely didn't know about the origin of the quilt barns. Have a great week Sandie!

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Sandie, love the post about barn quilts..I am a city born girl with not much time spent 'in the country' but near my sis in rural Illinois I saw a barn quilt..Very cool, it was about 2 years ago and I know I have a pic of it somewhere..when I find it I will email it to you. I am going to have my sis read your blog post for the history as I think there might be a few in her area..thank you for sharing and hugs, Barb

Granny Annie said...

And so you continue to educate all of us while bringing joy:)

Lynn said...

Love those barn shots!

Eat To Live said...

LOL.... I know all about Husbands who drive 80 mph. I tell my Hubs I will haunt him forever if he kills us. He does slow down when I try to take a picture. Maybe I should hold the camera up like I am going to keep taking pictures and he will slow down.

I bet I have pictures of those same barns.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Never was lucky enough to see a barn, with a quilt pattern painted on it. And thank you for giving us, the story behind them. :-)

"Auntie"
From "The Land That Winter Forgot"

Debbie said...

I didn't know that about the barn quilts either. I've never seen one, but now I really do want to.

As to barns in south Georgia? They aren't generally that pretty either. My brother-in-law's barn is hardly picture worthy. It's functional. There are a few kind of nice ones around here. You make me want to go take a picture of them.

And I love the idea for December Chatty Style. I've missed so much this past week or so because I'm a whirling dervish. Sigh.

Marie said...

Thank you for Leontien's address. :)
These are great pics, especially for 80 MPH!
I love road trips! I like to take my time and stop wherever I want. :)
When I was a little girl and we would visit family in NC my dad stopped Only for gas, so if you were hungry or needed to go to the restroom that was your only chance...really! You and I would have a blast together on a road trip and our cameras. :)

Marie said...

Almost forgot, thank you for the info on the quilts. I didn't know why people painted these on their barns...very cool!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I think you did a fine job of capturing these barns at 80 mph!
Have a lovely day!