"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Happiness Equation

Question: Is it good to be younger or older?

Answer: It is what it is - so you have to make the best of where you are! (Lol)

So then, for me, some reasons why it's good to be older (not old, just older):

While my life still has, let's say some major issues in it and although I have many things yet to learn and hopefully experience, I do love my life now and I wouldn't return to my youth even if I could! I went through too many struggles, much pain, and much growth to get where I am - if I were younger, I'd be dumb again! I like being 'life' smarter. My life is much better now as an older person than it was as a younger person. I'm not sure if every older person feels this way, but for me it's true. I wouldn't go back.

I think most, not all, but most people generally do get happier as they age.

The following are some of the ideas I read in an article from Woman's Day (September). Thought I'd share some positives on aging and other things. (I saved them up all summer so I think I'll Blog on a few this month). Have to kind of agree with them myself.

"We live more in the present.

When we're younger and think our future has no limits, we go for long-term goals.

When we get older, we see our future coming up fat, so we focus more on the now.

We're active and don't sit around in rockers and that makes us feel better!

We don't let life pass us by - we get out there.

Stupid stuff that ticked us off in the past doesn't matter as much now. (Young people get angry easier).

Our past life experiences make us able to handle more without getting as upset.

You weigh - if things make you mad - for real. What's important. What's the hill you want to die on? Will it be important a year from now? Is it worth our precious time?

We expose ourselves to new ideas and activities. We're not afraid.

We value our friends.

We ask ourselves what can I do today to make myself happier tomorrow?"

Now I can't say all of us middle-agers have reached this pinnacle (and I work on being there daily myself), there are indeed 'grumpies' our age out there - I've seen and met some. There's nothing you can do to help them - they're just grumpy and always will be grumpy because it's THEIR 'own' choice.

"We cannot change our past. We can not change the fact that people act in a certain way. We can not change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude". -Charles Swindoll

Focusing on the now and being happy,
Chatty

No comments: