"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday's Onions

 Debbie at Just Breathe sent me this and I thought it was extremely interesting!
 
In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu...
Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.


(My grandmother lived during that flu epidemic and luckily all that happened to her was that she lost her entire head of hair which she did get back.  My mother was born in 1919.)


The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). 

The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:  

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmer's story...but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe."It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." 

He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). 

Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down. 

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.



Personally I believe this as I have hard it in many places.  It may not be scientific - but it can't hurt you.  When my mother was little they made her wear garlic around her neck to keep her from getting sick and take castor oil which we know to be good now. 

Dogs can't have onions.

So this may be something to think about.  I am definitely going to try it.   I hate to be sick.

Happy Saturday.  I'm running oodles of posts and comments behind.  I have a sinus infection and I'm taking it easy.  Plus we have an all day commitment today.  No worries I have all next week and I'll read and comment then - I promise! So please hang on with me!







x_3bf587b6

43 comments:

Nonnie said...

I have read this before. When I was young and we got colds, my Mom would fix onion tea for us to drink. Yuck! I love onions, but confess I have put leftover onion in the fridge and used it later.
:-( guess I will be careful to only use a fresh onion when we want them raw. I promise not to give my dog any onions!
You are special too. Yes, you. The one reading this. :-)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've heard that about onions and don't save any sliced ones in the fridge any more. I used to. Still I've never had food poisoning and always get my flu shot. I tell you I've been healthier since I started getting them than ever before. I used to always get a bad cold every winter and now I'm thinking it was the flu virus instead.
Have a super Saturday!

Susan said...

Wow Sandie. That was definitely interesting. Never knew that about onions.

Oh dear, I have a couple in Saran Wrap in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. Better toss them and slice a new one.

I wouldn't mind the onion absorbing my cold but I don't think I'd like the smell so close to my bed.

Take care and have a good day. Susan

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Good info about the onions! I had read some of this before but your post really spells it all out. I'm sending this to my daughter!!
Feel better soon.
hugs, Linda

valerietilsten59.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sandie,
Gosh.. I cannot believe this post. Only about 2 weeks ago, I recieved an e mail circular from a friend, explaining how onions can be very detrimental to our health.
My mother taught me. Never eat anything the next day with onions in it.
Here in Portugal.. Garlic and Onion with milk on the top.. then the juice is drank for the flu.. I haven't tried it.. but I eat a lot of garlic.
A great post .. most informative.
thanks Sandie.
Have a great weekend.
god bless
val

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I hear you about running behind. It's darn hard to be so busy and try to keep up. I'm taking a week off just to find myself!!!!! ha

I had never heard this about onions... I knew about garlic--but not onions. Very interesting. Thanks!!!!


Have a great weekend/week.
Hugs,
Betsy

Beth said...

I never eat raw onion or use it in anything. I used it in cooking and that is about it.
Very interesting post.

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for this! i did not know a peeled or cut onion can become toxic! i did know dogs aren't supposed to have them.

Blondi Blathers said...

Not to embarrass you for posting this onion forward ... I've forwarded a good number myself before learning about Snopes.com ... the originators of these things know how to make them appear authentic, that's for sure.

I checked out this "Onion" forward at http://www.snopes.com, which tells when the "legend" started being passed around on the internet and addresses its claims. Snopes is a great site for checking out a lot of these "health" emails that go around, as well as the other kind: the urban legends, the kidnapped children, and so on. Just put a word or phrase in the search box and away you go.

You may not be aware, as I wasn't, that a lot of these "forwards" contain a "cookie" that, when you send the email to all your friends, sends information back to the person who put the cookie in it. The cookies provide addresses that can be sold to spammers, and so on.

We save the remainder of cut onions in the fridge all the time for re-use later, and no health problems have ensued. Been doing it forever. That'll be the day I'll give leftover meatloaf to the dog because I fear the onions in it! I love meatloaf!

We eat leftovers all the time, and most of our cooking contains onions.

Oh would that a simple lovely onion could be a cure-all! I do believe onions have many, many health benefits, mind you.

As for the flu shots, I went from age 14 to age 46 without the flu. Then I got the flu shot at my dying mother's request (she was afraid we might bring the flu to her otherwise) and promptly got a flu that put me in bed for a day or two. I also got it again the following year. No more flu shots for this chick. Glad it seems to work for some; it does me more harm than good.

Miss Debbie said...

Very interesting! Hope you feel better soon!

Sandy said...

My mother had a home remedy for everything and with eight kids she was always using something on us. We rarely got sick so I believe they worked. She also wore garlic around her neck as a child. I had never heard about the peeled onion in a room but I will definitely try it! I have heard too many bad stories about taking flu shots so we avoid them.
Thanks for this very helpful and interesting word today!
Hugs~

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Sandie. What a great post, and one that I shall definitely be taking notice of. I have just received a note from the Doctors, as I am of a certain age and at risk, reminding me that I should get a flu jab. I haven';t had one, and I don't intend to start now, but I shall definitely be putting the onions all around the house. Thanks for all this helpful information.

Southhamsdarling said...

Forgot to say, I love the halloween background of your blog!

Paula said...

Interesting post about onions. I love them and eat them in everything if I'm not going to be around people. Never put them in a sick room. May try that sometime.

Grandma Bonnie said...

I hope you get to feeling better. Don't worry about visiting until you feel well. I love onions and I will take your advice. I have not gotten the flu in many years. I have never gotten the flu shot. The dr talked my dad into getting the flu shot last year and he was sick for over two weeks. That was his first and last flu shot.

Wanda's Wings said...

Who would have thought it. Onions, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Ms. A said...

I've read it. One of the things that really interests me, is all the things dogs aren't supposed to eat, that my dogs ate all the time. Like raisins. I had no idea!

BelovedBomber said...

This was fascinating! I even called my mom and read it to her! Thanks!

Marti said...

As I was growing up onions were one of the folk remedies that were used. It was interesting that mayo was not a food poisoning culpert.
Have a good day.

Jocelyn said...

Castor Oil! It's great for many things apparently. I'm trying it out on my hair to strengthen it.

It's funny how things that our moms did for us when we're younger actually worked and we find it to be scientifically good for us now.

Dee said...

Interesting post..home remedy's was all people had at one time...I suppose they worked for some and not for others..just like our medication choices today. I get my flu shots and have been fortunate not to have any side affects. I was told I could still get a flu just not the strain that kills you. I saw a vintage movie some time back where they used an onion poultice for either a wound or pneumonia.

Jojo said...

Very interesting post. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Are We There Yet! said...

Very interesting about the onions absorbing the flu germs. They are good for a lot of healing purposes.

Unknown said...

I have heard this before. I do have a habit of saving onions in the fridge. Promise I will stop that!!

Anonymous said...

I did not know that....wow I've put cut onion in ziplocks in fridge and used later,want do that no more.
Thanks and YOU are special to me too!

Sweet Tea said...

I wonder how I got to be my age and have never heard that about onions. I've always saved onion bits in the fridge, but do usually use them only for cooking. I'll think twice about that now that I've read this...Hope you get to feeling better soon, Sandie.

Angela said...

I've always heard that onions are good for you and to eat more when you feel like you are getting sick.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad you shared it. I thought it was a good one. I confess too that I have used cut onions I put in the frig. Actually they sell them chopped already in the store.

GrammyK said...

Hi Sandie!! Haven't been by in a while and thought I'd drop in for a quick visit. :-) Interesting information. I love onions in all forms. And I do save my unused pieces in a ziploc in the fridge which might be why I've wondered if onions upset my stomach.
:-( I'll have to start buying smaller onions!! Also I've read some historical stuff about onion poltices used during the bubonic plague and for pneumonia. I'll have to study this further since I'm prone to pneumonia. Thanks for sharing!!
Blessings to you!!! Kris

Pondside said...

Whether it's true or not, garlic and onion have helped keep people healthy for generations and I'll keep on using them, cooking with them etc!

Unknown said...

So interesting, I had an onion in the refrig, cut up for a few days. Then I used it. I didn't think any thing of it but now my husband is sick, interesting. ......

Lois Christensen said...

I've heard this before and am thinking maybe I need to have some onions around my house? Maybe it would help my stomach problems? BUT sometimes I can't use a whole onion, especially the delicious red onions I love and keep in a tupperware in my refrig!!!! I'm throwing it out now.

Lois Christensen said...

Do you think we can freeze the leftover onions?

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Wow, I hadn't heard this about the onions! I wish I'd known before I (hubs and daughter, too) came down with this virus. You can bet next time I'll be putting out onions! Didn't know about the cut onions either. I'm really good about slicing onions and putting what's left over in the fridge to eat later.
We did have a friend who wouldn't ever tell her age (she's deceased now) but she lived a very long life and was rarely ever sick. She said it was because she ate onions every day! BTW, my mother was born in 1918, a year apart from your mom.
Hope you feel better soon. I'm a little better, but still coughing a lot.
Hugs, Cheryl

jack69 said...

I love that little girl pointing at me! She is special, that is for sure.

Love the stories. I actually plan to leave an onion out, but never do!!!

I'm just going to Florida, that helps cure my ills, or maybe it just cures my ill nature. hahaha

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Wow! I've got a leftover onion in my refrigerator right now. I'm going to throw it away or at least leave it out to soak up those germs.

I've been using onions in my omelets, so they get cooked. I don't think it's enough to kill all the bacteria though.

My Mom told stories of relatives wearing garlic. She said the only think it kept away was people. LOL!

Catherine said...

Well who knew onions could do all that! Hope you have a lovely weekend!
xo Catherine

Jill said...

I have heard this story of the onions before but have never tried it.

I do hope you are feeling better soon, my friend.

Mary said...

What a great info post...our dad's dad died in 1919, of flu. It came in waves, 1st, 2nd, not illness, they even thought he was immune because he would go everywhere had he helped at the homes of his family. 3rd wave he was gone. With 4 little children. I really want to meet him in heaven, when my time comes. I think he will be a great person to meet.

betty said...

This was interesting to read, Sandie. I always thought it was the mayo that shouldn't be left out for longer than a few hours or it would make people sick; very interesting that it could potentially be the onions or potatoes. I rarely cook with onions, they don't agree with my tummy, but I will remember the advice not to give Koda onions (I think he definitely would snub his nose at them). Very interesting too that onions helped prevent sickness like that.

Definitely learned something new today! Hope you feel better soon!

betty

Rob-bear said...

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. An onion a day makes sure the doctor stays away. Well, that's the theory, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom.

Debbie said...

I'm reading posts I missed and not going to comment on all of them. BUT, I had to comment on this one. I never knew any of that!! I find this so very interesting and plan to use it. Thanks!

SquirrelQueen said...

Interesting info on the onions. Most of this I have never heard before and find most of it unbelievable. I almost always have a cut onion in my fridge and I have saved sliced onions for a day or two. And potato salad, I make a large batch that will last for days. No illnesses to date from my onion uses.
Knock on wood!

It is fun to read this kind of stuff however.