"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. -Kahlil Gibran

Don't you think that is a GREAT way to look at life. Like the glass that is half empty or half full kind of thing. I mean sorrow doesn't have to just be a scar, a scar can be a good thing, if you decide to look at it like that. Maybe whatever has the scar doesn't look as beautiful as it once did, but scars give meaning and sometimes purpose to life. They can give character to a person - literally and figuratively. We can, if we chose, to use these scars to learn about ourselves and what we are made of.

I was talking to someone who is very upset at the state of their employment. I've spent more time that I care to think about trying to help this person be happy in spite of their employment situation. And for the very life of me I just can't seem to help them to be happy in spite of everything I've done or said. This has been draining.

Woe is me. I can't do it. I don't understand. Why is this happening to me? I don't deserve this to be happening to me. My question in my head is why not. Do we deserve everything that happens to us? Do people with cancer deserve cancer? Did I deserve everything that has happened in my life - what about you - did you deserve everything that happened to you?

I try to tell this person the more woe they think about, the more woe they are going to get! You ATTRACT woe if you think about it all the time.

It's not that you can't ever feel sad, I do, but for Heaven's sake,feel sad, say and do what you have to say and do, and move forward! If you can't then you need something or someone that can help your situation, but if you say no to, that then it almost seems hopeless. I don't deal to well with hopelessness, because I've struggled though my own stuff and I've come out of it a hopeful person. It bothers me to see the hopelessness in others when they chose to stay hopeless.

There are many ways to get to the other side of that mountain or a problem if only they would open their eyes and try. Maybe their scared, but you still have to go forward somehow. 'Woe is me' is just avoiding getting to the other side of the mountain. You will never move one step forward if you don't try to do something!!!! It's like they are committed to being where they are and are going to die right on that same spot.

Kind of reminds me about a scene in Blazing Saddles. The posse is out in the middle of a field and there are three toll booths - however on each side of the toll booths it was wide open. The head guy says to his men, guess we'll have to turn around and go get some dimes (to pay the tolls!). And they did! They didn't see what was right in front of them - that there was another solution to their problem.

I'm beginning to wonder if this person really wants to get to the other side of that mountain or are they just saying it - to get more attention or something. Can anyone be that stuck?

I know one thing and it's hard for me to remember, I can't fix the problem, they have to. I guess that's my mountain.

Chatty Crone






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having read the saying one thought immediately comes to my mind : everything that doesn't kill us makes us stronger.