"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursday's Thoughts

Oprah's magazine wrote, "Have you heard of Eckhart Tolle? He's a spiritual teacher whose new book Oprah calls the most important she's ever chosen for her book club. It explains how to free yourself from the tyranny of the past, live more fully in the present, and come to the calm joyful place where intuition. creativity, and wisdom live and breathe".

Now that's a huge statement. I did get the book on CD's read by Eckhart himself. It has 8 CD's. I'm on number 6. It is interesting, it's deep. I had to go out to BJ's yesterday to buy the book so I could highlight it. I am going to eventually listen to it again and follow with the book.

I don't know if I believe in all what he says. It'll be good to read it again in a couple of years - some books are like that - you change and grow - you reread it - and then you get different things out of it, then you did before.

It does have some good thoughts in it, what he's really talking about is finding your core self. It also talks about being in the now. I'm waiting to see if he tells us how to do it!

He says to be truly alive - you must live in the here and now. You're not supposed to be worrying/thinking about the past or the future. I find that can be pretty tricky. That it is our ego that gets us into trouble and he wants us to transcend or change our ego, and then you will find happiness.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh, "The problem is not entirely in finding the room of one's own, the time alone, difficult and necessary as that is. The problem is more how to still the soul in the midst of it's activities".

Any comments from someone else who read it?

I read this in the paper yesterday, it was a vent - but it's good: "Retirement is like getting out of prison after surviving a 40-year sentence: so much to do, so little time."

Do you ever feel that sometimes?

"Man improves himself as he follows his path; if he stands still, waiting to improve before he makes a decision, he'll never move". (Paulo Coelho)

Chatty
PS The next book I have started - is 3 books in one - by romance novelist LaVerne Spencer. I'm going to give my head a break and just relax a bit! Starting with the book called "Bygones".

No comments: