"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Do you see the view?


I was reading a Blog the other day and it asked a very good question.

It was from Personal Development For The Book Smart - it's a great Blog and it really makes you think.

This is what Richard discussed in his Blog:

"There are two types of people in this world.
The first type sees a tree and marvels at its beauty.
The second sees a tree and complains that it’s obstructing the view.
Which type are you?"

First of all it shows that while people see the same thing - the way they view or see something (the same thing you are seeing) can be totally different.
It can go for words too - someone can say something to you and when you say it back to them - it's re-translated! Try it sometime.

It shows some people are more positive and some are more negative. Are some people born more positive or more negative - do we learn it by our experiences - and can we change?

Which type are you? - makes it seem like it is a choice of how we view things in life.

I think for me I've had to work on being more positive through out my life - I've done this by making myself 'see and write' five positive things down a day.

Now, there are days I surely do slip and yes I have days that I feel down, but that's okay. It's human. All I have to do is think of all the wonderful things I have experienced or received in my life - look at my family and friends - then I see the beauty all over again.

Chatty

9 comments:

Preston said...

I try to be positive but different circumstances require different reactions. For instance, that is a beautiful tree but if I am trying to see something beyond that tree, then it is blocking my view. It is true, though, that two people can look at the same thing but "see" two totally different things.

Chatty Crone said...

Gee, that was good. There are three ways of seeing things - one which I missed and there are probably more. Thanks for the view.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hi there, hey I like your new look.
I've always been lucky, in being able to see beauty in things, nature, faces, etc. Learned it from my mama, and passed it on to my two.
However, I work daily to be positive as melonchony runs in my slavic blood...some days it's a real struggle, and Winter, especially is the hardest time. Beauty? No probs at all in seeing that in most everything, and being awestruck is a nice thing to feel.

meggie said...

I see the tree, & all it's beauty, but I also see the visible behind the tree.
Thankyou for visiting my blog, & leaving me a comment.

JeanMac said...

What a good idea to actually write the things down. Thanks. I'm going to do that.

Preston said...

I saw your comment on my blog and here so I left one on my blog and decided I'd leave it here too: "There will always be different ways to look at things as long as there are different people to look at them. (Prophetic, eh?)"

Icewind said...

Perceptions are a funny thing . . .

Do you see the 'smiley face' in the middle of the tree?

Thinking outside the box and using all of the colors of the rainbow in our lives keeps things interesting.

I could be all wrong as two weeks now of below zero temperatures may have been effecting my brain.

Ice

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh, I see it too - another perception I missed! I've still got so much to learn and see from others. Thanks.

Chatty Crone said...

JeanMac
Just wanted to comment on writing things down. If you commit to writing five things a day that you are grateful for - you think it is easy at first - but believe me there are some days it's hard to write one. By forcing yourself to write five - expecially on those days - eventually it will change your life. You will be out somewhere, see something, and say, I'm so grateful for that - I have to write that down in my journal. It's great.