"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Christmas Story in February

I have a little story to tell you.

This week has been very busy. The wedding events are starting this weekend. And I think to myself, how one moment, just one second can change your life forever.

My daughter and I took my grandson to the dentist - he had to have sealants put on, a baby tooth pulled that didn't come out, and a small cavity. Now if you've read my Blog you know he has sensory processing disorder. So a trip to the dentist for us is usually a nightmare because it is a nightmare for him.

Anyway we changed not only to a pediatric dentist, but a pediatric dentist that works with kids with special needs.

Anyway to make a long story straight - he did awesome. We were shocked. Of course they used laughing gas - and of course the insurance won't pay for it - but who cares - it's worth it.

We get in the car and everything is fine. My grandson asks - "Is the Easter Bunny real?"

My daughter and I kind of laughed and tried really hard to not answer by changing the subject.

So he asks again, "Tell me, is the Easter Bunny real?"

Now what put that in his mind right then and there we will never know. My daughter asked him, do you really want to know the truth?

He said, "Yes."

So she told him, "No." Of course we went on to explain why people make him up (now I wondering why we do that).

So then we can see he's shaken a bit, and he asks, "Is the tooth fairy real?"

My daughter said, "Do you want the truth?"

He said, "Yes."

He was taken aback.

A few minutes later he asked the fatal dreaded question, "Is Santa Claus real?"

Alas she had to tell him no. This is our belief, if we continued on when he asked us point blank a question and wanted the truth - had we lied - then when it was really important - to tell him something that was the truth - he may not have believed us. You gotta tell the truth.

His life changed in an instant. He took a giant leap - he grew up some that day.

So my daughter trying to make everyone feel better at this point talks to him about the story. "Honey, think about it, a fat man, going down a chimney with toys, from the North Pole, and gets to every house in one night. I bet you kind of knew it wasn't real."

So he goes, "No, I didn't. What about the magic reindeer's - they helped him."

So no worries people! Lol. Wouldn't it be wonderful ti think and believe childlike sometimes?

Love,
Chatty

PS Go to the YouTube below.

4 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

That was always the moment I dreaded with my kids, the moment of truth. I have always tried to put the true meaning of Christmas first and foremost in my Children's lives but the story of Santa is for the little ones to enjoy a little magic, a little fantasy. But like you I always told them the truth when they asked point blank, for the same reason you did.
Thank you for such a lovely comment on my blog. So many people spend so much time moaning and asking why me, that they over look the beauty of what they have right in front of them. My belief is God doesn't make mistakes or junk, we believe Shirley was sent to us for a special reason.
Have a great day
Molly

Changes in the wind said...

The video is just precious...thanks for sharing.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

That is pure faith, isn't it?

Chatty Crone said...

Just think, if we didn't go through what we went through - or know who we know - or have the experiences we had - who would we be? We needed them and they needed us.
God uses everything according to his will.