Are You Having Enough Fun?
Thursday April 23, 2009
Categories: By Valerie Reiss, Holistic Living
"That's what a couple of people have asked me lately. It's a bad sign that my mind goes blank and I just blink, right? Um, fun? Ohhh, fuuun. And a friend just posted to Facebook: "X is tired of being so hard on herself. She would like to be responsible, organized, and still have fun. There hasn't been nearly enough fun lately." I am with her. And study after study and a new spate of books have come out about the healing power of play, spontaneous downtime, real joy, flow.
Presuming I'm not the only fun-stunted grown-up out there--it seems like fun is the first thing to go when people are stressed, especially about cash--I've made a list for you and me on how to have more fun. (Fun is obviously subjective, though--one woman's puzzle is another woman's nightmare--so these are just ideas to inspire.)
50 Ways to Have More Fun
1) Bounce on a trampoline
2) Watch 30 Rock on Hulu.com
3) Make a list of music you'd love to hear live. Get tickets.
4) Pull together your friends and/or family for a jamboree--of homemade and real instruments
5) Go dancing
6) Book a cheap flight
7) Relax in a hammock
8) Go swimming
9) Check off a few items on your life list
10) Make a life list
11) Go to the zoo
12) Find one un-fun thing you can NOT do and don't do it
13) Read a juicy novel
14) Write a juicy novel
15) Go bowling
16) Do bumper cars
19) Invent a new dessert. Share.
20) Make a stuffed animal
21) Create an altar
22) Play ball--basket, base, tennis, dodge
24) Take a froofy scented bath
25) Get on a boat
26) Adopt a goat
27) Visit a farm
28) Take a guided tour
29) Go to a museum you would never normally consider
30) Walk a dog (borrow if you need to)
31) Visit someone you love. Or invite them to visit you.
32) Paint a mural
33) Learn to stand on your head
35) Go for a picnic--on your living room floor if need be
36) Visit Cuteoverload.com
37) Have a progressive potluck with your neighbors
38) Make raw chocolate
39) Ride a bike
40) Play frisbee
41) Have an afternoon tea party where everyone has to wear a hat
42) Make your own ice cream sandwiches
43) Make your own ice cream with an ice cream ball
44) Hop on a train or a bus and go somewhere you've never been--within an hour of your home
45) Go to a make-your-own-pottery place
46) Buy a fruit or vegetable you've never had (like Buddha's Hand)
47) Have a clothing swap with friends
48) Have a house swap with strangers
49) Make a music mix. Groove.
50) Have a poetry reading
What do you do for fun?