"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday Musings . . .Serendipity



The path of spiritual growth is a path of lifelong learning. - M. Scott Peck

Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally stumbles upon something fortunate, especially while looking for something entirely unrelated. The word has been voted as one of the ten English words that were hardest to translate in June 2004 by a British translation company.

I'm thinking of this word as I watched the movie Serendipity with John Cusack Saturday night.

Have any of you seen it? The girl believes in fate. So when these two met - he writes his name of a five dollar bill and she writes her name in a book. If they were truly meant for each other they would find each other again.

A lot happens in the years and they both have plans to marry - but they never give up looking. They both - at the end - decide not to marry - and almost give up looking for one another.

And of course - in the movies - true love wins out.

Ever had a serendipitous moment?

Now this is the God's honest truth - I saw the movie Friday night at home and started this blog. All I was waiting for was to think of a serendipitous moment in my life.

Now hold on and tell me that God is not amazing.

I got a call from my girlfriend Peggy - I went to college with her. Now we stay in contact and have been friends for decades.

We both lived in Illinois and she was looking at a government site for lost money in Illinois or unclaimed money in Illinois. A real site from the government.

She just happened to put our last name in it and four claims appeared with my husband's name as beneficiary. Now three were for ten to a hundred dollars and one was for over $100. It may not be worth much, but would you call this a serendipitous moment??????????

Not only for the money - what there may be - but for a friend who bothered to call me to tell me this and she won't get a thing out of it.Serendipity. . .

I wonder if, before we were born, we were as afraid of life as we are now of death.
- Jay Williams

16 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I actually went to see Serendipity in the theatres with my friend Kathy. Long time ago!

I like to listen to podcasts, and I recently listened to a psychology podcast about serendipity. Interesting stuff.

Jennifer said...

post pics are for you today lady!!!! hugs, Jennifer

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
Oh I love this post. How nice of your friend to call and inform you of the lost monies. Money is money sweet friend, no matter what the amount, even a penny says, "Trust in God." I see it, I pick it up.

I haven't seen this movie, I will have to see if I can rent it, sounds good to me.

I had to pop over and see the pics of the new Grandson. He is so beautiful. I could smell that new baby smell as soon as I opened your page. How precious is he. Now you are blessed with (2).

Hope you and your family have a beautiful blessed Thanksgiving sweetie. Many hugs and SO much love, Sherry

Patti said...

Well, that is totally exciting. Not only that you have a dear friend from the past that you are still in touch with, but that you are in line to receive an unexpected windfall. How wonderful

Hope you're having a lovely day.

Love,
Patti

Ginny Hartzler said...

What an amazing story! I hope it won't be too involved to collect the money. The last quote is rather stunning, what a thought!!

MadSnapper said...

7 years ago, someone at my work place told me about finding money on the state unclaimed sites so i checked our name for Florida and there was almost 400 on it from my husbands deceased wife. we collected and i was so excited i plugged every name in and found a couple of people money, then plugged my husbands brother in for PA and found they had 300, i emailed her that i found it. all states have unclaimed wages and money and the states do not try to find you, they send a note to last known address and then after 3 years in FL it goes to the state.

i have had strange things happen like yours today, but do not think of it as serendipity, i just say its a small world. yes, i have seen the movie and loved it since i like happily ever after fairy stories.

betty said...

Didn't see that movie, but it sounds interesting! That is neat for your friend thinking of you this way and the potential money that could come your way!!

when do you see your adorable new grandson?

betty

Together We Save said...

Oh my word!! I love that pictures at the beinning of your post!! I have laughed and laughed!!

Susan said...

Whoa doggie, Sandie. Found money you didn't even know was there definitely IS serendipitous. Wow, wish that would happen to me! ha ha

Hope you have a great night! Susan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Serendipity is one of my favorite words! But somehow I never even heard of the movie. Goes on my order list for when we get back to Fl. (Or maybe I'll see if my daughter wants to order it while we're here -- sounds like a 'chick flick'.

Congrats on the found $$/ What a nice friend you have.

Mevely317 said...

Allll right, Sandie! Just in time for the holidays!

No, I've not seen that movie but you've certainly piqued my interest - I'm going to add to my NetFlix queue tonight.

Serendipity ... that's fun for the tongue to prounce aloud, isn't it?!

Sharon said...

That is absolutely a serendipitous moment! And what a wonderful friend!

I haven't seen that movie - but I think serendipity is a real thing! I don't think there are "accidents" with God - and seemingly "random" things happen according to His plans and purposes. I think He loves giving us "God Winks!"

A serendipitous moment for me? Meeting YOU!

Awww...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

GOD BLESS!

(p.s. Where are the friends that tell ME about money...huh?!?)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love serendipity in life!

Buttercup said...

Never sure when serendipity is simply G-d's grace, but how fortunate in either case. On Saturday saw friends I hadn't seen in 20 years and had a wonderful visit. Unexpected pleasure, but so sweet. Take good care Sandie and have a terrific Tuesday.
P.S. Love the quote on fear of living and dying. Will give me a lot to ponder.

Linda O'Connell said...

May you discover that you are a millionaire, and if you don't, just know that your posts are worth a million bucks.

Unknown said...

One of John Cusack's best in my opinion... and I love that your friend found you some "unfound" funds! Serendipitous for sure.