When the whole world is running towards a cliff, - he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind. C.S.Lewis

Tuesday, October 06, 2026

OCTOBER 6 BREAST CANCER MONTH

 

Breast Cancer Month 2026 

         I had breast cancer in 2014.
I was one of the lucky ones - I had the best of the worst I guess you could say.
I had gotten my mammograms yearly.
In 2014 I went to my normal exam, and they found a spot they wanted to test.
I got it tested.
It was Stage O.
Stage 0? I first thought it wasn't breast cancer, but it was.
Of course, I had decisions to make and tests to do.
I asked the doctor what she would advise her own mother to do.
She said a double mastectomy.
That's what I did, and I've tried not to look back.
I try to be thankful every day as I know others aren't as blessed.
That was June 14, 2014.
I did not need radiation, more surgery, or medication.
I was one of the lucky ones finding it early.
Don't get me wrong - it's not a picnic, even now 12 years later.
But it is okay. God is always good no matter what.

 


Even my puppy dog got into celebrating with me back then.   


Breast Cancer Awareness Month is observed every October to promote early detection, raise awareness of breast cancer risks, support those affected, and fund research, with the pink ribbon serving as its universal symbol. It highlights key facts such as 1 in 8 women being diagnosed in their lifetime and emphasizes timely screening, education, and community action.




Friends get your mammograms yearly.



x_5c59c1d photo x_5c59c1d.gif


Answer below.



All credit for photos goes to the respective owner.












15

24 comments:

Lisa said...

I was diagnosed April 14, 2014. I was stage 3, grade 3. It was not an easy ride. I have met many women who were diagnosed at all stages. Quite a few of them have died from the disease, some from the collateral damage of the treatments. The statistic is that one in three women diagnosed with breast cancer at any stage will go on to develop stage 4 cancer. It looks like so far, we have beat the odds.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Thank you, Sandie, for your willingness to share your own experience that will encourage women to be proactive in getting those yearly mammograms. Literally, they can be a matter of life and death. Blessings!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I can see why you want to get this information out there . Thank you for sharing your experience .

Gemel said...

So glad you are still here sharing your love and friendship.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I saw 15 dots, after I looked again and kept counting! LOL. Wow, I didn't know about your breast cancer issue. Thank you for sharing this with us. I guess, like you, I would've thought the "grade 0" meant no cancer, but so glad they did their due diligence and encouraged you to move forward and get it taken care of before it became a grade 1,2, 3, 4. God was certainly with you. (((HUGS)))

Mari said...

I'm so thankful you've done well after breast cancer. I just got my reminder to schedule my mammogram and I better do that.
I saw the 15 dots!

Catherine said...

It’s also pink October here too. Glad you have done it quickly! I must also schedule my mammogram soon.

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Sandie - is missed the dots over the i's so I failed being a genius (not surprised - lol)! Wow friend you were blessed. So very glad that you are still here and doing well - good reminder to us all to have that mammogram...just had mine a month ago...all was well. Give thanks each time it comes back good. Those boots certainly would not be easy to walk in either...think mine will just have a much lower heel! :) Hugs

Terri D said...

I had my mammogram last week and the results were negative. I have had surgery on my right breast, twice. Both times were "pre -cancerous", so I have been lucky. Glad you caught yours early, Sandie!! xo

handmade by amalia said...

I'm thankful for your recovery and for this post - an important reminder.
Amalia
xo

Julia said...

Thanks for the reminder... In 2002, I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in one breast, had mastectomy of the affected breast and a strong chemo treatment that burnt veins in my arm. I had radiation and prescribed estrogen blocker Tamoxifen for 5 years and Letrozole for another 5 years. In December, it will mark my 24 year anniversary. I'm grateful to God as this experience had a profound positive effect in my spiritual life. I surrendered to Jesus' will and he walked the journey with me.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the spot of cancer you had but thankful that you were okay. I certainly do not see that many dots!!! I recently had a mammogram and all was good.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my, I'm so sorry! I don't understand why you needed this procedure for stage 0. But maybe you took that genetic test.

photowannabe said...

I got it right the second time around ... (:0)
I didn't know you had cancer and am so glad you have come through it with a great testimony. Happy it was caught in time.
Sue

Prims By The Water said...

I got 15. YAY Glad you caught your cancer early. Janice

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

I am very grateful you are here, dear friend. Thank you for sharing this.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing your story.
It is so important to have your regular mammograms.

All the best Jan

PS I did count 15 dots :)

🌺 Debby/From My Shasta Home said...

Wow thanks for sharing that. I'd do the same at this age. I live in a rural area they are backed up 4-6 months. Im not concerned. No cancer on both sides of my family, but still. It's just as long a wait if we drove 250 miles to the city. My sister-in-law died from breast cancer as did my husband's mother. I've had 2 friends that are survivors.

Mevely317 said...

Aw, sweet little Disco. I well remember when you and Kelli went for your mammograms and what a surprise. Praise God, 12 years after the fact you're still here ... I'm so glad!

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm glad they caught it early!

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

I will be a 19 year survivor this fall

Acorn Hollow said...

I just had my yearly mammogram.
So glad you are good now.
Cathy

Ann said...

I did not know that. I'm glad you caught it early and survived to tell us. I had never heard of stage 0.
I guessed 15 Yeah me.

Donna said...

Yes mam! Get those mammograms! My surgery is going to be this morning for a lumpectomy. They found it very early on...tiny spot. A .5 milometer in size. I'll come home this afternoon...Should have radiation and a medication. The tech said if they suggest radiation, PLEASE DO IT! It takes longer to put on the gown than the tiny zap of the machine. The PA has seen several of her patients that have had to return for surgeries because of hard headiness... One lady in particular, had been through her ultrasound 3 times now all because she wanted to do things Her way...which did not include radiation! And one unfortunate lady, who refused to listen to her doctors, became a statistic.
Schedule your check-up today!!! Please...
hugs
Donna