"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, January 09, 2007


Posted by Picasa


The Leaning Tower of Pisa.....I saw this tower on my second trip to Europe as well. That white road to the left of it (and there is one to the right of it - forms a square) has street vendors (one right after another) selling every kind of artifact you could think of. You can walk up the winding staircase of the tower all the way to the top - at least you could fifteen years ago, I'm not sure about now. The tower was in peril because it was actually leaning more and more every year. The people of Italy were trying to decide back then what to do about it - how to stabilize it from leaning more and family crashing.

Now the Leaning Tower of Pisa could wallow in self pity which brings me to my lesson today.

Self-pity is nothing less than an impulse to destroy yourself. This is the script we tell ourself:

"This is the way you were made. These are the facts of your situation. It's bad. Worse than anybody else in the whole world. In fact, it's so bad, it's impossible to do anything about it. And therefore, you are free from any responsibility to clean it up. Nobody can blame you for anything."

"Self-pity is a thief, and a liar. A thief, because it steals away every opportunity you have to move on in life. A liar, because anyone who says he tried to clean up his mess but couldn't succeed is telling an outright lie."

Believe it or not this thought goes with the dreaming yourself better theme. A person can chose self pity OR they can dream of ways to make things better.

You don't have to make a mountain out of a mole hill - it's your choice and it's my choice.

Take for example. The Leaning Tower of Pisa. "Oh, woe me, I'm leaning, I'm leaning and I can't get up" or "I'm starting to lean, it shouldn't be happening. It's not fair. I'm going to fall."

or... I'm an anomaly. People will want to see me because I'm different. I'll be famous. People will come to see me from all over. I'll be loved."...

Get my point?

Hugs,
Chatty

No comments: