"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Sunday, September 09, 2007

I'm a little slow at doing things sometimes, but I usually follow though. I had a woman write me a comment once to one of my Blogs, she wrote me about a movie called The Thirteenth Warrior. It always stuck in my mind because it is a topic and thought near and dear to my heart.

I made a note of it and put it in my wallet to rent to next time I went to Blockbusters. Okay it took awhile, then I rented it. Got a Spiderman DVD in it. Took it back and by this point I wanted to see the movie and went to get it at another Blockbusters.

Got it last night and watched it. Weird and dark movie. But at the end I got what this woman was telling me.

"Did you ever see that movie, the 13th Warrior? It has Antonio Banderas and I don't know who else. The movie is really kind of bloody and dark, but what really stuck with me... what really resonated was the idea of knowing that you will fail... and then doing your best anyway. I love that movie, whenever I get into a "funk" and start thinking that life is futile, I watch it again. Next thing you know I'm standing my ground and saying "hey, it's a good day to die... bring it on."

In the end there was a fight and Antonia Banderas was sure he was going to die. He was of a different religion, but he said a prayer to his God that I really liked.

This was his prayer of confession before he died:

"And for all we have ought to have thought, but have not thought,
for all we should have said, but have not said,
for all we have not done, but ought to have done,
I pray for forgiveness."

This is a great prayer and I think ever though he was of a different faith we can learn from this. We need to do what we need to do. If we don't we could be sorry we didn't live and do what we needed to do. LIVE NOW.

"I have squandered my days with plans of many things, I pray this is not one of them. This moment I beg only to live the next few minutes well."

He was facing impending death yet he knew his cause was the most noblest thing he had ever done. He was scared but he HAD to do it anyway because he was convicted to do the right thing.

I won't tell you any more, but it was a good movie in a weird way.

He also had the thought that the pagans, even though it was a totally different religion - had taught him to be a man.

Isn't that what God wants us to do. Grow up, live, and be a man?

Love,
Chatty

PS That's why I like Blogs and comments. A great way to express yourself and learn at the same time.

No comments: