"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, February 18, 2008

No school again (!) today. Happy Birthday Mr. President!
This is a lesson - that some how I brought with me from my childhood - I learned it very well.
"Do or do not - there is no try."

I don't usually use the word 'can't or try' in my vocabulary. Not that I do everything asked of me, but if someone does ask something of me, I'll usually try. I used to do everything people asked me to do, but now I'm a bit more selective now - age and maturity. I'll have to say that this trait is one of the finest gifts I learned from or learned because of - my parents.

I'm trying to teach my grandson this lesson in a very positive way. Sensory sometimes makes you feel things are overwhelming - he'll decide that they are too hard for him to do - just looking at the certain thing expected of him - like 'writing homework' - and some times they are harder to do for him then the average bear. He'll start right off the bat and tell me something is hard, start crying, and he'll say he 'can't' do it.

Well, I have Yoda's picture up on the fridge and he knows the quote and what it means quite well (we've watched Star Wars together too), and I'll say the quote to him and he'll give it a whirl and you know what - he'll get it accomplished. Patience is a gift he graced me with.

"Your legacy should be that you made it better than it was when you got it." ~ Lee Iacocca

You can learn all sorts of things from people if you open your heart and mind.
I hope I'm leaving a good legacy for him. I think there are other things to leave him with too. A good dose of healthy self-esteem. I tell him every night (got the idea from Tiger Wood's dad) he's wonderful, in fact I sing it to him in our repertory of his nightly serenade (he thinks I sing well and loves my songs). Guess I am teaching him the gift of music which I happen to think is imperative. My job is lying with him until he goes to sleep (we probably have taught him horrible sleep habits but we figure as he gets older he'll go to sleep alone). It's the best job of the day. His room is incredibly peaceful . . .

I know he'll have a big adjustment too if and when he moves someday.
You've heard of the ripple effect. You throw a pebble into the lake and that one pebble sends out ripples to the far end of the lake that you cannot see - yet that one little rock effects it.
We may never see in our life time what that one ripple does, but it can effect generations to come. I believe that, in fact it gives me hope.

Chatty

No comments: