"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, August 11, 2008

Solitude
I'm thinking about solitude today. Aloneness. Breathing. Stretching. Thinking without interruption. Why, because it's the first time in 11 weeks I've had any. Ah, summer, with teachers and kidlets home 24/7.

It's either feast or famine with so many things in life isn't it? If I could just have an hour to myself a day to refresh and replenish, that was just mine and only mine, I'd be so much better - but then again I suppose we all would. Except that I'm 55, I've done all this before and for many years I might add - so I feel I've earned an hour a day off for good behavior (?) . . .

Now that summer is officially over and my daughter and grandson are back to school - I'm feeling solitude this morning. It feels strange, good, but weird too as I'm not used to it yet. Also I haven't seen 5:30 am all summer and what a jolt it was to hear that alarm (Lol)! Okay, okay I'm adjusting here.
Why is life all or nothing? Are things just the way they are or are things the way we make them? . . . I think both according to the situation.

*****************************************************
Solitude by dailycelebrations@yahoogroups.com; on behalf of; _lei_aloha [leialoha@dailycelebrations.com]

"Discover creative solitude." ~ Carl Sandburg

Take time to find creative solitude. To repair, restore, and renew yourself. A place to leave the external for the internal world and take a journey inward.

As singer Tom Petty wrote, "Excuse me if I have some place in my mind where I go time to time."

Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau turned to Nature for inspiration and to heal.

Ernest Hemingway's place for creative solitude was Paris.

"Never be afraid to sit awhile and think," recommended playwright Lorraine Hansberry.

Get in touch with the complex, unique person that you are. Celebrate the emotions you feel, the physical parts that call you to action, the mental processes that help you to think and learn, and the spiritual quality that fills your heart with faith and hope.

"I always say to myself: What is the most important thing we can think about at this extraordinary moment?" observed visionary R. Buckminster Fuller, the holder of over 2,000 patents.

Take a moment's pause to honor yourself. Reach for the possibilities: There are always at least two ways to do anything.

In the quiet, alone time, enrich yourself with creative solitude.

As poet and editor Thomas Hood said, "A moment's thinking is an hour in words."

****************

I think it is critically important for everyone to have some solitude - at least it is for me. In the summer it's harder for me personally to get ANY solitude, so I admit I'm looking forward to this school year. I get so 'full' of people, their demands on me, the extra work, running around, etc that sometimes I feel I want to run away! You have to have some place in your mind to go -or somewhere to go for real for a little respite. Some where, some place to think and replenish your soul. Does anyone understand what I am saying here? I feel burnt out I guess.

Went to a play Saturday night called 'Enchanted April' which I will Blog about this week (about going for a holiday in Tuscany just to get away and think). I'm seriously dreaming about Tuscany or Greece myself next summer - just for a week or two - maybe a month - maybe two! How do you rent a house there and how much are the next questions. Wouldn't that be so nice to be by the water and wake up to the sound of the ocean? Another dream - ah it's so much fun to dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAxdeO6YQU&feature=email

I have a dream and I thank God for music - where in the world would we be without them both?

Chatty


No comments: