"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday's Whims and Songs


I also went to the play Wicked this weekend on Sunday at the fabulous Fox theater on Peachtree Street (one of the 132 Peachtree's Streets here in Atlanta) great city.

I had no idea what this was about before I went except that it was connected to the Wizard of Oz movie/book - which is one of my favorite movies of all times. There are some really brilliant gifted thinkers in this world! Amazing someone could think like this - so profoundly deep. (Wonder if he's an analyzer/thinker - he'd have to be.)

It was about the time before the Wizard of Oz (which has so much meaning in it too, if one dissects it). The story was about Glenda the good witch and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West and how they became those witches.

You just assume by watching the Wizard of Oz what the story tells you. There is a good witch and a bad witch and that good triumphs over evil. (Don't we all sometimes believe what others tell us, without finding out what our own thoughts and hearts tell us?)

Okay (now this is just a story gang) did you know that Glenda and Elphaba were best friends? They went to school together. And did you know that, now how can I say this, that sometimes evil isn't evil and good isn't good? Maybe nothing is as it seems to appear to be.

The author Gregory Maguire wanted to examine the nature of evil. He allows us to take a more complex look at the nature of truth, the value of beauty and the cost of moral behavior.

"The history of Elphaba, her friendship with the 'good' witch, her love affairs, the politics of Oz, and why she wanted those ruby slippers so bad are all told in Wicked."

This book/play told the Wizard of Oz, from the witch's point of view.

See it or read the book if you can - very interesting - the slant and all.

And let me say - don't listen to others opinions and views of others. Those who may seem good may be good or not, but those who seem wicked, might be good.

"We must not allow other people's limited perceptions to define us." (Virginia Satir)

This is the thing - when someone does a particular 'something' and the world judges and judges it to be wrong - who is the world to judge what is right and wrong? There may be a 'part of the story' that is missing, that the world does not know of. The missing piece.

Chatty
See song below . . . good song about good friends . . . "For Good" . . .

Video in Blog below.

Wicked For Good Lyrics
Songwriters: N/A

(Elphaba):
I'm limited
Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...

(Glinda):
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

(Glinda):
Because I knew you

(Both):
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

(Glinda):
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

(Both):
And none of it seems to matter anymore

(Glinda):
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood

(Elphaba):
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood

(Both):
Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better

(Glinda):
And because I knew you...

(Elphaba):
Because I knew you...

(Both):
Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...

No comments: