"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The greatest happiness . . .



The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves. -Victor Hugo

Hmmm, a tough 'thought' for me.

I love the idea of this.

But I do wonder if it is this truly possible.

Again, I thinking it's 'inner' work not 'outer' work.

I'm not sure sure you get truly get this 'conviction' met by another person. Maybe he didn't mean to get the conviction of being loved from another person. Maybe he meant that we need to learn to love ourselves for who we are and to h--- with what others think. We need the conviction to love ourselves.

Chatty Thinking and . . . finding the joy in the journey.

1 comment:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Of course, I love Victor Hugo, for himself...his works figure prominently on my bookshelf and in my heart. French authors dominate my bookshelves, come to think of it. With the English not too far behind...