"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Friendship



I'll keep it short today (can you believe it - I don't, but I did try). And one more thing - yesterday my blog buds said so many nice things about me - thank you - I want you to know that my daughter is a hero too. I just wanted you to know that - so is our little guy - he works hard too. . .

All I really want to do today is to take the time to thank God for my friends and my bloggie pals - you all have really made a difference - a good difference - in my life. Thank you.

A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.~ Anonymous

“Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.” —Ann Landers

Happy Birthday to Charlotte E. Ray - Wikipedia

Charlotte E. Ray was the first black woman lawyer. Ray was born in New York City where her father the Reverend Charles Bennett Ray was a prominent abolitionist. During her childhood she attended the Institution for the Education of Colored Youth in Washington, D.C. which was one of the few schools African American women could attend.

In 1869 she was both a teacher and a student at Howard University. While teaching at Howard, she registered in the Law Department; aware of the school's questionable policy on admitting women, she applied under the name of "C.E. Ray" and was admitted. In the law school she specialized in commercial law, and graduated in February 1872 and was the first woman to graduate from the Howard University School of Law.


PS No one guessed, but there are SEVEN senses - we are taught only five.

They are:
The sense of sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing are commonly known as the "5 Senses". These are all external senses, meaning that you pick up these types of sensory information from your environment.

There are 2 internal senses that are lesser known, but equally important and those are the sense of body movement and body awareness. Both provide your body with information about it's movement and position in relation to space and gravity.

Our senses are not individual channels of information. Everything in life is a multi-sensory event. For example, imagine spinning a round in circles; your arms outstretched and eyes open. You will pick up sensory information of the what you see as your circle the room. You will have a sense of where you are in the room, know that your feet are touching the ground below you. You'll feel that you are moving in a circular fashion as well as feel and hear the air as it passes through your arms and fingers. All of this information is processed together in the brain in many of the same neurological structures.

Did you know that?

9 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Good morning Sandie, I love my blogging friends also and consider you amount the best. I am headed out the door, but wanted to stop by and wish you a wonderful day. See you later today. Going to get this hair done, woke up, looked in the mirror and scared myself almost to death, didn't go last week...MUST go now. BYEEEEE
Molly

Deb said...

Morning Sandie! Lovely post today.

Knitty said...

As always, another good post. :)

I love the quotes you chose today, and I always enjoy your birthday news.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sandie, I'm drinking my coffee and enjoying time with one of my new best friends (YOU) and can't wait to meet you. Hey you kept it fairly short today..... smiles.....

Linda

ClassyChassy said...

GOOD MORNING! Great post today - as always.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good morning lady! Thanks for the interesting post. I have been working out on my WII balance board this winter but even so I didn't think of that as being a sense yesterday. Maybe there's another part of my aging body/brain that needs more work ;>)

Hugs to you and all the heroes at your house!!

Angela said...

Hey Sandie!

I consider you one of my bestest blogging friends too!

Hope you have a Great Night!

Hugs,
Angela

Tweedles -- that's me said...

You always have the most beautiful words to share with us!
Thank you for touching our hearts.
love
tweedles

LADY JANE said...

Well said my friend..well said! And we aer proud of your daughter...and ANDY! Hugs to all!