Laws of the Lighthouse
by Max Lucado (one of my favorite writers)
The first of the year is known for three things: black-eyed peas, bowl games, and lists. Some don’t eat black-eyed peas. Others hate football. But everybody likes lists. (How are our list coming?)
The Bible certainly has its share of lists. Moses brought one down from the mountain.
There are lists of the gifts of the Spirit.
Lists of good fruit and bad.
Lists of salutations and greetings.
Even the disciples’ boat got into the action as it listed in the stormy Sea of Galilee.
(If you smiled at that, then I’ve got a list of puns you’d enjoy.)
Love God more than you fear hell.
– Once a week, let a child take you on a walk.
– Make major decisions in a cemetery.
– When no one is watching, live as if someone is.
– Succeed at home first.
– Don’t spend tomorrow’s money today.
– Pray twice as much as you fret.
– Listen twice as much as you speak.
– Only harbor a grudge when God does.
– Never outgrow your love of sunsets.
– Treat people like angels; you will meet some and help make some.
– ‘Tis wiser to err on the side of generosity than on the side of scrutiny.
– God has forgiven you; you’d be wise to do the same.
– When you can’t trace God’s hand, trust his heart.
– Toot your own horn and the notes will be flat.
– Don’t feel guilty for God’s goodness.
– The book of life is lived in chapters, so know your page number.
– Never let the important be the victim of the trivial.
– Live your liturgy.
To sum it all up:
Approach life like a voyage on a schooner. Enjoy the view. Explore the vessel. Make friends with the captain. Fish a little. And then get off when you get home.
Happy Birthday Jim Croce - (who wished he had time in a bottle) - Wikipedia
"If I could save time in a bottle, The first thing that I'd like to do. Is to save every day, Till Eternity passes away, Just to spend them with you." ~ Jim Croce
Born on this day in suburban Philadelphia, singer/ songwriter Jim Croce (1943-1973) had a wide smile and wrote lyrics with aching honesty, clever wit, and remarkable beauty.
His tragic death in a plane crash in Natchitoches, Louisiana, happened just as he had achieved enormous pop success.
TIMING IS EVERYTHING - WE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE READY.
The laws or suggestions - I find very interesting to follow - seems to have a list of good resolutions!