"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Friday, July 30, 2010

Fun Friday with a little help from my friends . . .

Okay - some jokes about getting older...












40 Years of Marriage...

A married couple in their early 60s were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary in a quiet, romantic little restaurant. Suddenly, a tiny yet beautiful fairy appeared on their table. She said, "For being being such an exemplary married couple and for being loving to each other for all this time, I will grant you each a wish."

The wife answered, "I want to travel around the world with my darling husband!" The fairy waved her wand and - poof! - two tickets for the Queen Mary II appeared in their hands.

The husband thought for a moment and said, "This is all very romantic but an opportunity like this will never come again. I'm sorry my love, but my wish is to have a wife 30 years younger than me." The wife and the fairy were deeply disappointed, but a wish is a wish, so the fairy waved her magic wand and - poof! - the husband became 92 years old.

The moral of this story: Men who are ungrateful should remember that fairies are female!

I borrowed this joke from Lazy Days and Sundays.









Happy Birthday to Delta Burke - wikipedia

Ever since the early 1990s, Burke's weight has been a subject of discussion in the tabloid press. In reality, her struggles with weight, depression, and eating disorders stretch back to her pageant days in the early 1970s. She became a much-parodied figure in the press due to her seesawing weight, including a skit on Saturday Night Live, wherein Leon Phelps from The Ladies Man has a sexual fixation on her. In 1989, Burke asked Thomason to write an episode addressing her weight. The episode, "They Shoot Fat Women, Don't They?", had Suzanne Sugarbaker going to her 15-year high school reunion and getting her feelings hurt after hearing disparaging remarks about her weight. This episode is said to have earned Burke her first Emmy nomination as Best Actress. She earned a second nomination the following year.

Burke recently lost about 60 pounds, due to her nearly 10-year battle with type-2 diabetes. She says she plans to keep on losing weight to remain healthy, as well as to improve her prospects for playing "Truvy" in the Broadway production of Steel Magnolias; a role that required her to be more slender.

Good for her! I'm proud of you!

20 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Good grief - those are so funny, Sandie! Thanks for the laughs!

Melanie said...

Those are such funny cartoons, Sandie! You always make me laugh!
Have a great weekend. :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These were the best Friday laughs a girl could want! Rolling on the floor!! So funny! Men should remember faries are female! I love love love Delta Burke.

Mr Gramas Soul said...

Good morning......Thanks for the cute jokes today.....and I might add that I LOVE the intro quote to your blog. It is so true!!!!!

Xo

Jo
p.s.thanks for stopping by.

Susan said...

Hilarious post, Sandie. You are too funny. Thanks for the chuckle before lunch. Susan

Hootin Anni said...

Hi! I just read your comment you left for me about the slow loading on my blog. I did some tweaking on the HTML coding, and hope you can find time to stop by again and see if there is still difficulty for you with my blog. You're the first one that has mentioned it to me, and I like to have all my friends view with no troubles. Hope what I did helps.

Jane said...

These are hillarious - especially the first one! Have a great weekend, hope that you are well!

Jane

Unknown said...

This brought a smile to my face. I love your blog!

Deborah Ann said...

Ooh so glad I ended up here in my blog travels today! You are one hip, funny lady! The jokes had me laughing so hard, my dog came running to see what was going on.

Awesome blog!

Tanna said...

ROTFLOL!!! Too funny!

Debbie said...

That post is so funny!! I am still giggling about the fairy joke.

I love Delta Burke. She was my favorite Designing Woman. Happy Birthday to her!

In answer to your questions on my blog (cookie baking): The tablecloth isn't decoration since all I'm doing is laying it out on the table when I bake cookies. It's more "tradition". And I'm from southeast GA, rual Bulloch County.)

Rose said...

great fun post. loved the different cartoons. thanks for your comment on my blog re things happen . i'm ok.havea good weekend Rose

Annesphamily said...

Sandie, those teeth in the cats mouth! Oh My Goodness! Hilarious! I love your post daily and I am always amazed at how fresh you keep this! You totally crack me up! Anne

Angela said...

I loved all of them! They all made me laugh out loud!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!
Angela

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Sandie, what funny cartoons and funnier still because they are so true!!!

I just love Delta Burke and wish we could see more of her on tv..I loved Designing Women, it was a wonderful show...I can't even find re runs of it anymore:(

I am so glad to hear that Delta is doing well..thanks for the update!

hugs
Barb

PS You are my featured pink saturday blogger for this weekend..so hopefully you will get some new bloggers stopping by!

Jennifer Oberth said...

Hysterical! Thank you for these.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

these are such funny jokes, I loved them all.

I'm going to write a post about how I used the scrapbook paper on my blog. I'll try to do it next week when I'm back from San Diego.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Love Of Quilts said...

Enjoyed the cartoons......so cute. Trish

BECKY said...

Hey Chatty! I laughed all the way through those cartoons!! Very funny stuff! I also enjoyed the birthday info about Delta Burke. I felt so bad for her when she went through those problems with Designing Women producers, etc.

ocmist said...

OH, MY GOODNESS! You were in fine form with these!!! I LOVED them! That pie chart is just so RIGHT ON!!! I’m also glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read the joke with the fairy! LOL