"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

SIGNS OF EASTER

 



 
Ever seen a cross on top of a pine tree? No, not the wooden kind. Around Easter each spring, some species in certain regions start to develop shoots with a familiar shape. This sighting has led to a popular legend that pine trees "know" when it's Easter.
 
"If you look at the tops of the pine trees two weeks before [Easter], you will see the yellow shoots," the blog A Lighthouse recounts. "As the days get closer to Easter Sunday, the tallest shoot will branch off and form a cross. By the time Easter Sunday comes around, you will see that most of the pine trees will have small yellow crosses on all of the tallest shoots."
 
While it's true that these "crosses" appear in late March or early April for most of the country, the inspirational story linking them to the Christian holiday is just that-a story (albeit a lovely one).
 
Amy Enfield, Ph.D., consumer horticulturist at ScottsMiracle-Gro tells CountryLiving.com:
 
"The yellowish vertical shoots, known as candles, form first and then the side buds which will eventually form branches develop leading to the new growth resembling a cross. The fact that this happens around Easter."
I have been looking for them - we have a ton of pine trees here - I can't see when driving to well so I am going to go to a park and get out and look around.
Have you ever seen them? Let me know. . .
(Nature recognizes our Lord in other ways. One example of this is the pine pods during the Easter season. If you watch closely you may get to experience seeing the pods form a cross and literally lift themselves up toward the heavens in the days leading up to Easter.) Bobbie

x_3bb47313 photo x_3bb47313.gif

16 comments:

MadSnapper said...

we get them on our Loblolly Pine, I have no idea when, I just know when they come sometime in this time of year, they put out enough pollen to kill me with allergies. never thought a about a cross. they are pollinators.i just checked my blog, the come in March/april, end of March to mid april...that is Florida

photowannabe said...

Wow, I never heard of that before. We don't have a lot of pine trees close to us, but I sure am going to keep an eye out for them. Hope you can find some yourself.
Sue

Mevely317 said...

I remember hearing that story, but had forgotten. True or false, I love the thought.
I don't think we have that species of pine here in central Alabama, but I'll be watching just in case!

Ginny Hartzler said...

How cool, I didn't know any of this!!!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

An interesting post

Sparky said...

I grew up and have lived in areas of piney woods and scrub oaks all my life. Never knew that about the cross on top. Our Creator has signed all His work with His loving Hands. That is awesome. Guess I've been so busy trying to avoid the onslaught of pollen every year I don't look up enough. Next time I'll look! Thanks for sharing that.
Blessings.

DUTA said...

Interesting ! especially the story about the formation of the cross at the top of the pine trees.

Red Rose Alley said...

That's so interesting, I didn't know that. My house is surrounded by pines, so I'll be looking for that in the next month or so. Let me know if you see any when you visit the park. I saw a twig one time stretching out from a tree, and it was at a park as well, and it was in the shape of a Cross. Since I lost many of my photos, I don't have it any more, but I'll always remember that photo.

Have a wonderful week, Sandie.

~Sheri

acorn hollow said...

very interesting is it a certain type of pine?
Cathy

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'kk have to find some pine trees and see if ours have the cross at the top. I've never heard about that before, but no matter how old I get, I'm always learning something new. Thanks for sharing this story about pine trees today! Happy Easter and the whole world rejoices!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Those crosses are so awesome! I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing them.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Never seen aything like this before so danm awesome indeed.

jack69 said...

WOW, in all my time I have never read this about the pine crosses. But as I think of it I remember it from my childhood but NEVER noted the time of the year, How special.
We do enjoy stopping by your house.
Love you lady of Atlanta!

jack69 said...

I hope you get back to this comment. The Proto Deacon is a step below a Priest. He had a wife and probably could not be a Priest. It was a joy to see him however. I smiled inside to learn a little about the Orthodox church. They claim to be older than the Catholic church and when I mentioned attending his services he said, "Be advised Jack, we DO NOT have seats or pews, we stand during the entire service." LOL Needless to say we never attended. LOL

I had never heard of a Protodeacon. But I learned he was very well known and respected and the Governor of Florida years ago gave him some awards.
We met only a few times at our motor home he never invited us to his house, I think because his wife was sick..

Terri D said...

I am catching up on the week's blogs and don't even know if you will see this but I do know about the pine tree crosses at Easter and Tenoroc, where I work, has lots of pine trees sprouting crosses! One of my coworkers actually brought me one that had fallen off the tree and it is on my desk, reminding me of this sacred Easter season!! Love you!

Lowcarb team member said...

Very interesting, I'd not heard of that before.

All the best Jan