"Life is lived forward, but understood backward. It is not until we are down the road and we stand on the mountain looking back through the valley that we can appreciate the terrain God has allowed us to scale.” Jill Savage

Monday, September 07, 2009

Happy Birthday to Grandma Moses and Buddy Holly



Anna Mary Robertson Moses

September 7, 1860 - December 13, 1961

Known as "Grandma Moses" - was a renowned American folk artist. She is most often cited as an example of an individual successfully beginning a career in the arts at an advanced age. Moses began painting in her seventies after abandoning a career in embroidery because of arthritis. (Wikipedia) Note she died at 101!

"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." Grandma Moses

Buddy Holly from bio.com
He was born Sept. 7, 1936, Lubbock, Texas, U.S.—died Feb. 3, 1959, near Clear Lake, Iowa. American singer and songwriter who produced some of the most distinctive and influential work in rock music. He was newly married and broke and this left him little choice but to participate in the doomed “Winter Dance Party of 1959” tour through the frozen Midwest, during which he and coheadliners Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) were killed in a plane crash.

I'm not feeling like this is where or what I want to do with my blog. I've tried all week and I have tons and tons of birthdays I've gone through. But the personal factor for me is missing. So if I have someone really interesting I'll post a little about them, but I'm thinking of just being me. Writing about various topics without a theme. I think that's what is wrong, for me, I don't want to have to do something everyday - I already do that in my real life here at home (lol) so in my blog I want to be more free and open to express my spirit.

I went to a book fair this past weekend in Decatur, GA.


It spread over two days and it was huge - it was for us intellectuals (lol).

I shopped the fair Saturday and went back on Sunday. I heard the DeKalb Medical Story (and you might think this would have been boring but I was surprised. It was very interesting to see how a hospital starts from one thought and three people), and then the best was Kathy Reichs whose books are about forensic investigation - and the television show Bones is from her books. She oversees each and every show to make sure the science is correct. She is an MD and PHD and licensed forensic worker. There are only 77 in the world. She is such a smart and educated woman. Her latest book is called 206 Bones (that's how many bones are in the adult body). All her books come from real cases, sometimes two are mixed in one book.

Wikipedia:
"Kathleen Joan Toelle "Kathy" Reichs pronounced (born 1950 in Chicago) is an American crime writer, forensic anthropologist and academic. She is a professor of anthropology She divides her time between work for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only seventy-seven forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. Her schedule also involves a number of speaking engagements around the world. Reichs has been a producer for the TV series Bones loosely based on her novels."

Besides that she speaks fluent French, married, with three children.

I was sooooooooooooooo impressed - I have done about a 1/100th of the things shes done in her life!
Love, Chatty



4 comments:

Buttercup said...

Whatever you write is interesting. Your voice gives your blog a wonderful feeling. I would love the book fair.

Chatty Crone said...

Buttercup, I think you would have loved the book fair - the largest in the southeast.

Cathy Santarsiero, "The Christmas Corgi" said...

What fun. The Mister and I are addicted to Bones and just downloaded a few of Kathy Reichs books on Audible.com to listen to while I paint and drive :)

Chatty Crone said...

Well, I can tell you that she is one smart cookie. Very Impressive.